G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i decided to leave the Berk for another day of fun and I turned to getting my Aster Garratt running.

After a few decades under glass both at a MI museum and in my family room, my AD 60 has had steam in her veins again. I had to replace all the water lines and alcohol feed line. The front engine’s bones were stiff and unmoving…so a major oil massage and cylinder rebuild was done. After a pressure test, no leaks! i had her on the track under steam when i noticed an a screw was missing connecting the reversing gear to the front engine…🤨…The rear engine reverser screw was also removed—that engine cannot be detached like the front engine….apparently the museum personnel were trying to make this engine a bit smaller to carry… So, tomorrow the H5 screws will be returned to do their job and a final test run will be complete.

Next week-god willing-i return to Wayne Sorenson’s layout and we doublehead them…I’ll post some video when that happens.

Sam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I am So happy that You got it running SAM, I can't wait to see the Video at Wayne House ( TELL WAYNE I SAID HELLO) I was shocked at how nice that Engine is, Aster did a Great Job on making it.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bob- Thank you so much for helping me pick up that engine. I guess you were right that the museum folks tried to take it apart—glad I had a few 1.7mm -4 screws in my spares so all is well.

It is a beauty. It will be great running with Wayne. He is amazing-87 but still going very well. We’ll be running some big iron next Tuesday. I might also bring my Challenger or BB and we can double with his grey Challenger…should be some good video.

Sam

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Train Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rolling stock

Plant Train Window Shorts Tree

Wayne Sorenson—87 going on 67–ran our Garatts yesterday. Although we both got long runs individually, our attempt at doubleheading didn’t go so well (first, mine had a kinked alcohol feed line and then his fuel was exhausted after waiting…)oh well, such as it goes in live steam!

Although Wayne believes doubleheading rarely goes well—perhaps he’s right there-we’ll give it a another go on another day…

·
Registered
470 Posts
The diesel was attached for safety reasons such as braking, or to move the whole train in case of steam engine failure on a busy line and also if needed to assist and enable the 'timetable slot' allowed for the train to be met and not put other trains behind regular schedule. The AD60 was pulling the diesel loco as dead weight virtually all of the time as you tell on the steep grade as it's tractive effort is easily just as powerful as that diesel.
This is becoming more common when running heritage steam on mainlines in Australia now as a stranded or late heritage train causes havoc to the regular trains. Here in my state of Victoria we often run two steam engines one at each end to meet these requirements and often there is no turntable anymore so an engine at each end, one facing one way and one the other way, enables quick return and no switching or turning of train and engines that keeps the "authorities" happy.
Makes for good photo opportunities with two engines and thinking of our hobby it makes for a plausible "Diesel / Steam" consist or a "top 'n tail" bi-directional steam train when doing a run in heritage mode.
Now two Aster Garratts doing a "top 'n tail" train would be a very impressive sight !
Russell

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the double head video and the degree of difficulty raises up a notch when trying to run steam and video at the same time but running two engines and videoing is way more difficult. I have tried and failed running two loco's while videoing so well done and hope next time works out, look forward to seeing it
Russell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts