G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Premium Member
692 Posts
Joe,
You’ve just had your fingers in other pies..welcome back…you’re doing some amazing work on the Healy…

Nice cleanup job on U1 #1. I temporarily acquired one like that but it well beyond the smokebox…after cleaning and fixing the other issues, I sent it back to him and let him know this how he should have sent in the first place…

I have lights on mine as well powered by a steam turbine… the coin battery looks a bit simplier…

Sam

· Registered
522 Posts
Thanks Sam,

I've been popping in here on average every other week or so as I have been involved in a number of other things.

I did have a thread on the lighting project here:

Seems the photos have gone missing. I still have them if anyone wishes to see them.

Hiding the switches was a bit of fun, one for the motion inspection lighting circuit and one for the headlamps:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Bicycle part

That first U1 had some other issues, but would have been - or had been - a good runner and hopefully someone else is enjoying it now.

Cheers,

Joe

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
........ I did have a thread on the lighting project here:

Seems the photos have gone missing. I still have them if anyone wishes to see them.

Hiding the switches was a bit of fun, one for the motion inspection lighting circuit and one for the headlamps:

View attachment 65188

View attachment 65189
Hi Joe - I was hoping to add some lighting to my U1 at some time, after sorting some other issues first. So thanks for those photos and any others from your earlier thread that might be useful would be very welcome.

That first U1 had some other issues, but would have been - or had been - a good runner and hopefully someone else is enjoying it now.

Cheers,

Joe
My understanding is that the first U1 was owned by John van Riemsdijk and on his demise in 2008 it passed into the ownership of his long term friend Bram Hengveld who used to run Exclusive Models in the Netherlands.

From his u-tube videos, posted under the name of 'MrBramMoos', he appears to be taking very good care of it .....

Another piece of the story that I found from a post by Fred Roberts on Yahoo Groups back in 2008 was that Robert Head - of the wonderful G1 track at Shifnal in the UK - had bought the first two U1 kits on seeing JvR's prototype running and had them built up by David Baker.

Apparently the first U1 can be identified by the brass snifting valves in the running board valences as seen in the video above - all the subsequent ones being made of nickel silver.

· Registered
522 Posts
To clarify a couple of things . . .

When I referred to the first U1 that I briefly owned, I did not mean to suggest it was S/N 001. The S/N plate was missing and so I am not able to say whether an early or late example within the 175 or 190 piece full production.

One other thing . . . a bit of a digression . . .

I showed a photo of the very dirty smoke box on the initial U1 (without a S/N plate) and suggested that it may have been a coal burner. Upon reflection, I looked to see what the inside of the firebox looked like and it was clean. I then remembered that the person I acquired it from thought that it had only burned meths.

Gas Machine Auto part Circle Metal

I've never fired a Gauge 1 loco with coal, so I have no experience and therefore can only speculate.

But I offer this further consideration . . .

My understanding is that the methylated spirits sold in the UK is dirtier than what is available here in the US.

UK Meths?

"A mixture consisting mainly of ethyl alcohol with methyl alcohol and petroleum hydrocarbons. The addition of pyridine gives it an objectionable smell, and the dye methyl violet is added to make it recognizable as unfit to drink. It is used as a solvent, cleaning fluid, and fuel."

My understanding is that it looks purple and stinks when it is burned and you never want to burn it indoors.

US Denatured Alcohol?

In the US, we have what we call denatured alcohol which is often 50% ethanol which has been adulterated (poisoned) with methanol, enough to blind you, destroy your liver and/or kill you if you drink it. But it is clear . . . and nothing has been added to it to make it look dangerous or stink.

I mention all of the above, to suggest that it is quite possible that the dirty smoke boxes we may see in locos that have spent much of their running lives in the UK actually burned dirty methylated spirits that left ugly deposits in the smoke box rather than coal?

Here in the US, we also used to have have so-called "Green Denatured Alcohol" which was generally 95% to 99% clean ethanol with a bit of water. Sometimes a small bit of isopropyl alcohol is added. I became aware a couple years ago that this product has been discontinued as a solvent sold in box stores, probably due to pressure from lobbyists such as the liquor industry. However, we still have pure ethanol available when it is described as indoor fireplace fuel or "bio-ethanol fuel.".

Years ago I participated in a discussion here and I attached the MSDS or manufacturer safety data sheets for some US products. MSDS are available online for US products.

Lighting the U1?

The instructions remaining on the other thread should be helpful for the lighting. Rather than to add more photos in this thread, I'll try and find the time to append photos to the original thread. I know some here will sleep better if I don't digress too much. :)

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi Joe - many thanks for that clarification - when I re-read the posts I realised you were talking about your first U1 and not the first U1 - So I'm sorry for the confusion .... :(

That's interesting about the fuel - my smoke box looks worse if anything than the first photo in your post # 40 above (I really must find out how to post images) Unfortunately my U1 came with a non-original 4 wick burner and neither the original burner or the coal fired grate were available - so I really don't know what has happened to it in the past.

I'm begining to think that to do justice to such a proper locomotive boiler I should reinstate the coal fired items if I can locate them.

Another possibility I'm thinking about - that I don't believe was available back in the '90's - is to install a gas fired ceramic grate and I'm wondering if anybody knows if this has been done before. Although I'm aware of the very strong case to be made for being able to easily return everything to the ex-factory condition.

· Premium Member
692 Posts
John,

Many owners simply don't coal fire the engine. My engine was missing the ashpan holder for the coal grate and the grate supplied was the wrong size. So, I had to pay for Aster to send me one (thank goodness they had one!) and now am looking to have the coal grate fabricated.

I would think the gas conversion could be done but I don't know anyone who bothered to do that. The engine runs very well with original wick system--not sure why you'd change that out like they did on yours.

sam

· Registered
836 Posts
One of the reasons why I don't coal fire mine (which works extremly well on meths anyways) aside from laziness is that a friend who does run his on coal told me he had to repaint the ash pan after every run... Besides I am weary of grit getting into the bearings of this otherwise complex sewing machine.
Keep steaming, du bousquetaire

· Premium Member
692 Posts
Simon,
Understood. As you know, the cleaning ritual is part of the experience. So, when you add up the prep time plus the cleaning time of a coal-fired locomotive, one usually sees a high reluctance quotient on the use of said time. Yes, as you say, a certain laziness rapidly occurs…obviously this only applies to you in coal-firing aspect of the hobby…I have seen some of detailed work you do and lazy, you are not!

Interesting that your friend adds a paint task to the process..I’m not sure I worry about the ashpan holder except losing it..but perhaps some of the math above applies to me as well there…

Sam

41 - 48 of 48 Posts