G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought this car and have to find out what coplers this thing could have had. any direction / part info would be appreciated

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a few different ones on ebay but can you guys point me to the right model?

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
USATRAINS has only one style. It is a straight shank and goes on the bottom of the truck tongue.

Before you get going too far, what height are you using for your couplers, truck mounted or body mounted? If you are using truck mount height, then the Kadee is #789, I think. If you want to raise the coupler to body mount height, then Kadee #835 will screw on the tongue and have a full step up to the correct height. Go to the Kadee site look at them.

These are the old style with an external.spring on one side of the coupler. There is a new design with the spring hidden. I haven't used those yet, so I don't know the number. It should be clear on the Kadee site.

Chuck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I plan on using the truck mounted that is currently set up for. the other cars I have are factory unmodified. I found and ordered a set of 789s. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
If your other cars have the stock Aristo couplers, you will have to manually hook them together as neither KADEE or USAt couplers will couple with the Aristo couplers just by bumping them together.

The end of the tongue that is designed to hold the Aristo coupler has been cut off. If you can find some Aristo couplers it might be possible to attach it to the tongue. I've always just cut off the mounting bracket on the end of the tongue, because all my couplers are at body mount height whether they are mounted directly on the car or the trucks.

Chuck

If the 789s work, you may want to think about putting them on your other streamliners. You will get much closer coupling than with the stock Aristo couplers.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I did mine this way. These are set using the Kadee height gauge, so you need the tall offset.

But where you see mine screwed down, yours is broken away. This is common and many of mine are cracked and CAed at this spot. (Using too large a screw will easily do this.)

So it looks like someone added another screw further back and this looks like it should go into the rear hole of the typical slotted Kadee used on probably >75% of whats out there. You probably want the Kadee with the smaller back hole for screw fit into, but the Kadees with the larger back hole may give you more "wiggle room" via a slight misalignment of the two holes if you need it.

You will be close coupled indeed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts