G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Aristo wide switches are not working properly. When I move the throw bar, the points do not move. This has been a source of frustration for me.

Today I decided to take one of them apart to see if I could fix it. I finally did succeed in disassembling the box which contains the throw bar. Using a flat screwdriver, after removing the small screws, I finally popped the bottom of the box off. I could not see any problem other than the spring was slightly rusted, however it seemed to be strong. I cleaned the small amount of dirt and grime out. The inside of the housing did contain a small amount of moisture.

The problem arose when I tried to put everything back together. I cannot figure out how the parts go in relation to each other. I know I should have looked more closely before I took it apart, however, once i took the lid off, the parts just quickly fell out and I did not really get a chance to see how they fit together.

The throw bar itself has a small nub which looks like it fits the the small hole in the round mechanism which contains the spring. However, when I try to put it there the throw bar does not seem to operate normally.

Then the problem of getting the lid of the box back on is another problem. I used a small screw driver to pop it off (It was difficult). Now it does not want to go back in place.

Can anyone give me some assistance?

Sorry, I am not familiar with the technical names of the parts of this switch. I hope you can picture the problem I am having with it from my description.

John

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Been a while since I had one of those boxes apart.

To put it back together, hold the top upside down. Put the big gear in with its spring and the slider. Then put the throw bar in and get the pin to fit in the slider. Make sure you can slide the throwbar back and forth.

Now, hold the whole works with one hand under it, holding onto the throw bar with a finger on each end. Trick is to hold it down firmly. Hold all this together while you try to put the bottom on. Say a few carefully chosen words and do it again.

When you get the box together, you should be able to slide the bar back and forth. It will snap back. Now put the lever on and see if the bar switches smoothly. Say a few carefully chosen words and take it apart yet again. Avoid flinging it across the room, as it's hard to find the pieces. Don't ask.

On the switch itself, make sure the point rails are screwed to the throw bar. They need to be a little bit loose. There's a spring deally under the throw bar. If the spring is rusted or shot, it's not really necessary. Make sure you can move the points back and forth easily.

Now, mate the box to the switch. Use a little screw to connect the throw bar to the slider in the box. Don't tighten this, but let it flop a bit. Be sure to push the tabs on the box firmly into the ties. Check that the box is level to the switch. If it's tilted up, it will be able to push the points away, but they won't come back.

If the spring deal under the switch isn't working, look closely at the points in both positions. They'll fit into the rail neatly when you have it right. You might need to loosen the screw and move one a little.

It's not rocket science, and with a little fiddeling, you'll see how to get it right. No, you don't really need to get out the calipers and check flangeway dimensions.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg:

Your link freezes up my computer when I try to open it.

Torby:

I have already done a lot of the cussing. Have not yet thrown anything but am getting close.

I will give it another try. Thanks for the help.

John

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
John, you need to update something on your computer, maybe flash, or java, or your browser.

It's not my site, you would be the first in 2 million hits.

Regards, Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts