G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

don't tell the kids..they love riding one very similar at the PA Trolley Museum!

cool idea Lewis...of course the trolleys at the Museum run a broader track that SG ( IThink)...anyways, it's a good add for the hobby, esp since most are made to 1:24

cale

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Anyone care to take bets on which decade it arrives in stores?

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Registered
112 Posts
According to Lewis's post in the Aristo forums the molds are in process now for a late summer release date....

Ted.

From the Aristo Forum.....

Dear All,

The PCC Trolley being modeled is the first one from the late 1930's and is based on the original design of the Presidential Convention Committee, hence PCC. It was ubiquitous in use in virtually every American city and was exported all over the world.

There were several versions after the first original design approved by the committee, but we are sticking with the first design even if a city only had a variation. In G Gauge the quantities involved do not lend itself to a different version for each city.

However, we were able to find the original car in a museum in Connecticut and our John Mikesh spent a day there taking several hundred photos that were used to insure that the model is totally authentic. We're using a new drive as the height does not lend itself to use our Prime Mover Gear box, but as this car does not pull any others, it will be a great running locomotive in spite of less pulling power. We put the height at the top of the list on this car and have added a full interior with working doors. The doors are not motorized, but the 4 panel door does open authentically. We have a working trolley pole, but will not make cantenary as outdoor layouts with cantenary are targets for all sorts of birds, critters and the like. There are cantenary systems available for those hearty folks that can maintain such a layout, but we will not fill that gap ourselves.

The PCC trolleys are still in use in some parts of the country and I used to ride the Newark Subway that used them until several years ago. These cars were moved to Bayonne, NJ to be part of their new transit system and are now going to run by NJ Transit.

I know this is a great departure from our normal focus, but in other scales this trolley has been a staple and big hit. I hope you take a careful look at this offering when available. The molds are in process, so they should appear late summer.

All the best,
Lewis Polk

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
...yet still no sign of the modern 2-8-0 RRS was advertising? Interesting...

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
The SG 2-8-0 is also slated for production this year.  Lots of goodies for me this year!

Mark

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I am ready for several PCC cars now !  :)

We have a nice place to operate them waiting .................................../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Registered
514 Posts
Posted By Dennis Paulson on 01/02/2008 1:10 PM

I am ready for several PCC cars now !  :)

We have a nice place to operate them waiting .................................../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

I did mention some where else Dennis that I thought you would love them :D   Why leave it at several make it a round figure - you might get them wholesale /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Thanks Alan :)  ,   it does worry me just how many that I may end up with   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  ,   lots of paint schemes will be available .  ;)

It's SO NICE  :D  when something electric comes along for the Darlington Railway   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I am sure I read that dependant on the initial interest, and it seems to be getting very positive comments, there could be up to 50 liveries of the PCC.  The word "collectable" has been used - well I may be quite hapy with just one or two.  But I don't have catenary and I believe to do justice to electric traction (not track fed) catenary should ideally be built.

Easy for me to say, I don't have any of that type of loco.  :D   I feel that your overhead is the hallmark of your railroad.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi Jerry,

There has been more than a few comments about batteries made here and on the Aristo Forum,

I am only just getting around to setting up battery operation on my sole RS3  :D

The posts about  battery installation on the PCC car look to become a lively debate with many proposals/solutions being forthcoming.  I did see one where a group of figures might conceal small batteries.  I had thought something along those lines might be the answer as space seems to be the main obstacle. 

It will, however, sort the sheep from the goats I think.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
A trip this past september to Ontario to Stratford to see Shalespeare we passed in a field an old PCC car rotting away. I might just have to get one!

Chas

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
They look good and I think EVEN I will add one to my stable.....I need something for a point to point anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Wow!

This reminds me of the mock-up I saw at the 2006 Fall Timonium show.  A small company (can't remember the name) was proposing to have it on shelves by summer of 2007.  Then it seemed to fall into a black hole.  I wonder whether ArisroCraft may have purchased the dies, etc. for this car.

(Saints be praised, it's working!) /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

I remember the man staffing the tables turned up his nose when I asked whether a version with a Faiverly pantograph would be offered.  I did not ask to be a wise guy.  All my juice jacks have pantographs.  I find them less temperamental than trolley poles.  At least they were during my HO/OO days.  I even made a bow collector for a Bachmann Brill that gave me less trouble than a trolley pole.  Of course my catenary looked like something strung by a drunken spider!

Does anyone here know where I purchase a large scale metal Faiverly pantograph for a reasonable cost?  The only option I have seen so far is to buy an LGB modern Swiss locomotive, then toss it and keep the pantographs.  Not very cost effective.

Well I will be watching this model with great interest.

Yours,

David Meashey

1 - 20 of 109 Posts