G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered already but I can't seem to find it in a search. Does anyone know the PN of the traction tires and where I might get a hold of some replacements at?

I picked up a B&O rogers from a train show for $100. Looks great and appears to have very little run time. After cleaning the wheels and picking out the old traction tires and a few other things, it ran in the garden for a few hours quite well this afternoon. Would prefer to either replace the grooved wheels in non-tracrion tire wheels or just replace the traction tires.

Appreciate your help in advance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, here it is on the layout. Really like the scheme of this one compared to other aristo rogers I've seen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it looks like cutting a sliver of the outer edge off of a mogul traction tire might work. The driver wheels are close on size.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success! Worked beautifully. Cut about half the width off of the mogul traction tire and it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A savvy parts picker at an industrial supplier - McMaster Carr, Motion Industries - can match that channel for a flat rubber washer fit, may need a bit of trimming. My exwife stole most of my model stuff, so I can't be more specific. What I did, was mic the channel the tire rests in, then go to McMaster and find the closest washer. I refuse to pay McMaster's prices, so I found some at a different supplier - Those tolerances are pretty close to common. That's how I matched mine up. The originals are ART-29404

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super helpful - thanks for that Intel! I was able to get the trimmed mogul tires fitted really well. It has run numerous hours with them now. Next time around I will look into the flat rubber washers though.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying this locomotive. I ran wires from the tender power pickup to the locomotive to supplement power delivery. It runs so much smoother over the turnouts, and the dirt attracting wheels aren't much of a problem now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts