G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the purpose of the wiring to the tender?

I can see where there was once a a rear headlight but I do not see a pass though for a wire. I do not see any provision for sound, etc.

Wood Rectangle Gas Audio equipment Publication

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Font

·
Junior Senior Member
627 Posts
Notice the black tubes in the center of the wheels. These are brushes which rub on the wheels and get power. This is then sent to the plug.

Even if the loco runs without the tender, this is to overcome a problem. If you have dirty track (which is inevitable), the more points you pick up power from the smoother the locomotive will run. The arrangement you have allows two more point of electrical pickup from the track.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does, thanks. I noticed the wheel contacts but assumed they were intended to power something that wasn't working although the (sparse) owners manual makes no mention of anything. The tender is heftier than it appears.

·
Super Modulator
22,263 Posts
If you read a bit more about Aristo, and the hobby in general, older locomotives had many more power pickups, often the pilot, the drivers, the trailing truck and 2 axles of the tender.

Reduced the need for clean track, and often trackwork is "warped" so not all wheels are making contact.

For short locos, the plastic frogs interrupt power pickup, so tender pickups are good.

BUT!! You saw the wires from the loco to the tender, and you saw the wheel pickups go into the tender. Be curious and look inside, only way you will learn (and also read more sites that show your loco opened up).

Lots of information out there.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
These early versions did not have any electronics - no sound, nada. I bought a cheap slope-back tender and used the sound card and speaker in my C-16 tender. It still didn't sound good, but that was 20 years ago. Now I'd get a modern card, like Mylocosound.

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
The new tender (2nd Aristo version) has holes for the speaker, and switches, etc.
. . and no reed switches. ;)

But that's interesting. How does it have lights and motor switches when all the electrics are in the loco?
I ask because my pal Tim has a loco with a 6-pin connector on the back which I had never seen. Nor does he have the 3-way switch on the backhead.

Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Machine Auto part

Where does the 6-pin connect to the tender?

·
Super Modulator
22,263 Posts
Yes Pete, again there are 2 versions (from Aristo) and the newer version has the socket in the tender, as mentioned on my web site.

I don't post those links for ego, there is actually helpful information there!!!!

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
there are 2 versions (from Aristo) and the newer version has the socket in the tender, as mentioned on my web site.
Maybe it was a bit ambiguous on your website? I certainly didn't get the idea there were 2 different tender wiring styles for the different engines.

Anyoine have a photo of the front of the second gen tender showing the 6-pin connector?

·
Super Modulator
22,263 Posts
Uhh... there are 2 different versions that you buy, and each comes as a set: loco and a tender...

There are 2 separate pages, one for each version... perhaps you only read the introductory page, and did not look at the version specific page?

From my site, 2 versions clearly indicated, overview clearly stated, and links to sub-pages clearly indicated.

Nothing ambiguous there I can see... even big black separator lines...

Aristo 2-8-0 C-16

(remember: links to sub-pages at the bottom of this page)

click to jump to the bottom

Overview - 2 versions

The original version of the C16 was from the purchase of Delton, with a few small changes from the sold by Delton version.
The new version had extensive drivetrain and electrical improvements. It appeared around 2007-2008
Apparently the profile of the rear of the loco was changed from the original Delton to accommodate the first Aristo drive train, and the later Aristo version has apparently restored this. (need pix)
Note that the part numbers are UNCHANGED between the old and new versions: 80100 and 80200 for the coal and wood tender versions. (dumb!)

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
Nothing ambiguous there I can see... even big black separator lines...
Greg, your website is a wonderful resource - but it didn't answer my questions. There are 2 pieces of useful information that I didn't find, (and still haven't found.)

- the fact that the loco-tender wiring is totally different on the new version, with the 6-pin connector. A corollary is that this loco will not operate on its own without the tender, as the track pickups and motor leads are both routed to the tender 'motor' switch.

- which basically means the tenders are not interchangeable.

·
Super Modulator
22,263 Posts
Sorry, I thought it was self-evident that the original loco had switches in the loco and no socket (pictures on the page), and the new loco has the socket (also mentioned on main page). To me it is clear the wiring it different, it has to be since it IS different!

I will try get a picture of the connector and make the statement: "The new version had extensive drivetrain and electrical improvements. It appeared around 2007-2008 " even MORE clear.

Anyway now you know. ;)

·
Super Modulator
22,263 Posts
I'll note it somewhere, but it's a minor point, since in real life that loco could not go very far without a tender ha ha!

I've updated the main C16 page to accommodate your suggestions.

I do need a picture of the connector I suppose, but I would really like to follow the supposed changes to the rear of the loco that Aristo made in the first version, perhaps it is the bulkhead?

Regards, Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.