G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know I tried it before and failed.
But if RJ can build somethingi know i can.

Its too windy to even think about out doors work. So I found my photos and a friends HO scale model, and some size info from MJV.
I started. I'm using a SD45 frame and parts from two U-25s, one that Harry picked up for me.
Its NOT going to be "perfect" , I just want it to "look" like a 33-C in my videos.
Now If AC made these , I'd have 4 of them on my coal train.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Looking good so far Marty. I also use some parts from as SD45 to complete my project. Basically used all the electronics from it to us in the U Boat. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Well the old saying is if you don't first succeed try again. Keep it going and up date us. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to stop cause I was messing with the LS engine beings its nice out side.
I'm looking for materials for the rear grills.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Marty, check out those exotic candies like Thortons (if you have them over there) , often they come in a mesh bag thats great for grills and stack spark arrestors

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the ideas I just keep jumping around. burned brush before work today and Dusty will have the rock finished this afternoon.
life is fling

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Well now you will be ready to fire up the LS on the completed ground work so the table is level. Now to reset and try it out. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Getting back to this project.
This is the part that is REALLY HARD for me , moving slowly through detail work.

I had some HO scale diamond styrene for the walk ways which is perfect match to Aristos on the loco.

I use body putty to fill the gaps. I hope to primer this and see or resand areas as need be.

Not sure yet how to screw the shell on so I can service it in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Looking good Marty. I ended up making the mounting pads to hold the shell in place. I was able to only use the two rear original holes to hold the shell in place. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi Marty!

A friend bought a center cab second hand and the hoods were missing most of their mounting posts. I used 1/4 inch square styrene strips to replace them.

If you draw an X from corner to corner on the bottom of the strip, the center of the X is your drill point. Using a drill press and vise will assure the holes are straight.

On an old Pacific I restored for a friend the 1/4 inch square strips had to be mounted away from the walls of the tender using 1/8 inch thick strips.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Also look at using dry wall sand paper as it has square holes spaced about right and is very rigid.. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eric was over last night so he worked on his project and I got the hand rails installed.
they will be removed to be painted.

All he did was talk about Paul's engines.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts