G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,134 Posts
I have over 100 of them in use on my layout. I like them a lot.

First the negatives: They are not, repeat not, as robust as hillman or split jaw or sanval. If you tighten them too hard you can pull the screw right out of the threads. They don't exert the same force so they don't true up the rail joint as much.

The positives: They are cheap and they are very very easy to use, especially in tight spaces where tightening the allen key is a pain or impossible. I would always want to have some for just that reason. Also the little screw that's included is really great for tapping the track for power or jumpering.

I think they're a smart design, like a lot of aristo stuff, and like a lot of Aristo stuff thay'd be really great if they executed the desgn a bit better--just making the brass plate a little bigger would eliminate the screw pulling out, for example.

· Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Aristo clamps will true the rails up, but they just don't have as much force as hillman's or split jaws. I've got Hillman's split jaws, aristos and san vals on my layout. They all have advantages. San Vals are ugly as homemade sin but strong and you can set them ver an existng track joiner. Aistos are convenient and inexpensive, Hillman and split jaw are well know. I don't really have a favorite, it depnds on the situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.