G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put an Aristo-Craft R/C receiver (CRE 55491 On Board Train Engineer) in my plug-and-play Aristo FA2. I turned on the track power and pressed the code set button, and instead of flashing lights I got smoke - coming from the CRE 55491. One of the FR5305 chips on the bottom of the board is charred. The receiver was properly plugged into the circuit board in the FA2, and the FA2 runs fine without the receiver.

Has this ever happened to others? Did I goof up something, or just get a defective receiver? Any help would be appreciated - I don't want to burn up any more $100 R/C receivers.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Sigh...I feel your pain.

I have 75 mhz receivers working in five locos at the moment, but fried a lot of units on the way. Sometimes it was my fault, sometimes It seemed to be the fault of the unit. You can send them back to aristo and get them repaired quickly. I have three at Aristo right now--three that I bought used. Usually it's the big capacitor that gets fried, but it sounds to me like you had a different and maybe worse problem.

My guess is it's a defective board--I'd send it back in. Aristo's turnaround time is pretty fast

But also if I were starting from scratch I would not use the 75 mhz board. Aristo is discontinuing it. I would instead look at QSI and airwire, which is also plug and play and includes sound

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Ow. That hurts.

Call Aristo at 973-351-9800 and they'll get you fixed up.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Check the wiring in your FB-1. In my FA-1 the front MU plug was wired wrong.
Soldered between PCB-01 (the Plug and Play circuit board) and PCB-02 (the motor block circuit board) are eight wires. The wires to be moved are the red and black wires to the right of the screw. Unsolder them.

Solder the wires to the open tabs to the left of the screw. The black wire is soldered next to the screw.

·
Super Modulator
21,353 Posts
Paul, since he was using a 75 MHz on board unit, my guess is that he was running track power, so the MU plug would not come into play.

Jim, just out of curiosity, were you running track power? Also, what is your decision to proceed?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Yes Jim mentioned he was running track power, but everything in the FA-1/FB-1, including the MU plugs, is attached to the internal buss. If you plugged a lithium-ion battery into either MU plug, a properly wire FA-1/FB-1 will work in either track power or battery power mode.

In track power mode MUed sets like the FA-1/FB-1/FA-1 will share power with each other and run more smoothly over dirty track.

In the battery power mode, the ground for the track power wiring is lifted. Power can only be provided through the MU plugs.

In my case, the front lighting circuit on the 75 MHz receiver was fried when the front MU plug was activated. When I converted my FA-1 to on-board battery power and radio control some years later, I removed all the factory wiring and made my own socket. I used the rear lighting circuit on the receiver for my headlight and switched the motor wires over to keep everything in sync.

Everything is mounted on the frame including a lithium-ion battery in the fuel tank. The locomotive can be programmed and tested before the shell is installed. The LED headlight simply plugs into the headlight lens.

·
Super Modulator
21,353 Posts
Ahh, gotcha, so the message to Jim is: "Don't use the MU connectors them unless you check or fix them".

Since he's not using them now, it's not part of his problem with the melted board, is all I was trying to state, so as not to add confusion.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Jim,
Although I don't use the 75mhz PNP units, I have worked with the wiring on Aristo locos quite a bit. If you live in Wichita,KS, contact me and I will try to help you sort out the problems. I sent you a private message on MLS. It has my personal email address so you can contact me.

Jim Carter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts