G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you haven't logged into the Aristo site for awhile go take a look at the new catalog format!!! Let me know your'e opinion of it. Mine is I don't like it. I guess its the new year and time for changes. Was told once "only thing constant is change" $7.00 price tag on it and you can zoom in but not as detailed as the old one was. Opinions please!! Will be more changes coming i've heard that we will all love and cherish too if my sources are correct! Also unless i missed something NO PRICING either!! The Regal

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Jerry...the $7 is for the paper version. It's FREE if you download it on your computer as a pdf. Or, you can play around with the web based version. I prefer the less-paper method and the pdf file sits on my desktop.

In addition, there's some good photo's of a "certain" MLSer's big railroad in the middle of the US too... Congratulations Marty...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew all of that and I STILL DON'T Like it. Oh well that's my opinion and I'm stickin to it. The Regal

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
OK, I looked at it online and downloaded the PDF. If I had not seen the web site, I would probably conclude that the PDF was limited to only one good picture of each loco to keep the size down. It's 33 megabytes, and many people in this hobby do not have the world's fastest computers.

But the web site is basically just the PDF file. So for every "page" wiith a loco on it, you only get a good resolution picture of the featured road name, and not a good look at "your" road name. USAT has hi res pictures of most road names as does Bachmann, and of course the higher end manufacturers. (Aristo people, see, I'm not picking on your, your competitors do it better)

I do not like the "booklet" thing on the web site. It is too small, you have to click to see the page really, and then noise is annoying.

My biggest gripe is when you get to the locos, and only the "featured" road name really shows the loco. Now I model Santa Fe, so it's so easy hardly anyone goofs it up, but looking at the picture of the FA-1 CP or B&O... If I was buying from the catalog, I don't think I'd be happy because I cannot have a nice big clear picture of what I want to buy.

For some reason all the little thumbnail pictures are in poor focus, the dash 9 is another example, page 49 shows the compression is too high on the picture of the Santa Fe passenger car. The fluting looks almost like a checkerboard.

There are also some mistakes like many of the train engineer items are not available or obsolete.

The steam page shows a goodall valve on the LS mikado, which was obsoleted in the second production run.

I will say I appreciate having a PDF, and it appears that everything in the catalog is also in the pdf. I also appreciate the complete parts listing.

Keep sending the pdf, but improve the online catalog to match the beautiful decoration/paint you worked so hard on!

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I have not even looked at it, I guess I should. I wanted a printed copy anyway for my collection.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Welp all i can say on this subject is when i go to take a dump. i will have my USA and GR wth me... its my quite time to read...... and plan what i will buy next............i guess aristo looses when it comes to crapper time....
unless i put a flat panel on the bathroom wall.....not..............................
Nick.............

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
You can download the PDF and print the catalog or just the pages important to you.
You could get the PDF and have a printer print the catalog.
If in a club, a mass printing could be done by a printer to possibly lower the cost of printing.
I like the soft copy as i have too many old catalogs and they take up a lot of space.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I just had a look at the "New Improved" Aristo catalog. Must say I was not impressed. I found it difficult to navigate and somewhat confusing compared to the old version. There are prices there, but you have to go to the price list and enter a part number or description of an item. Really liked the old catalog it was easy to navigate and find prices. Sort of reminds me of my "New Improved" Comcast e-mail, lots of bells and whistles but less functional than the old version. Well that's my opinion for what it's worth. Of coures I was wrong one other time that I can remember

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wonder what you were looking at Joe. As far as I can see there are no prices in the new Catalog. It is, it seems at the present time the 2008 Catalog just re-dated on the cover. A separate price list accompanied the 2008 Catalog and I guess the on-line store Catalog (which maybe is what you have seen) should provide the up-to-date price guide. It is said that it will be simpler to update or amend this new style Catalog. Anyway it is fine by me.

Many dealers have made the comment in the past that they prefer to spend their time selling and not keeping brochures, web sites etc. right up to date. This I can accept if they are not primarily web site or Ebay sellers.

The US on-line Bachmann Catalog is fine, but the UK one is definitely not.

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
The pdf does not fit your screen? What resolution are you running on your computer? Are you using acrobat reader 9 to view it?

very strange.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Typical for AC when doing a new catalog. They just can't get it right. Got a whole year to make the up dates and then they leave in the old stuff no longer available or was never going to be made. Later RJD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts