G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone; I've got a first generation Aristo mike & since i've had to by-pass the fuel tank regulator(the diaphragm started disintegrating & plugged it up) I'm having a hard time keeping the fuel volume, going to the burner, down! Does anybody know what size jet the mike uses, so I can get a smaller one?
Jim Spanier

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
What are you currently using for a regulator or valve for the gas? If you try filling the tank half way do you get the same issues? Have you ever cleaned the jet with anything other than air?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason; the diaphragm in the pressure regulator was disintegrating & the pieces were going into the fuel delivery system. Also, I clean my jet with a back flow of compressed air! Even though the fuel tank valve has a tapered shaft there's not enough fine control to "feather" the gas flow! I'm reasonably sure a smaller jet can, at least, help my problem. I've got a call into Diana at Sulphur Springs & the recording says they're still open & she'll get back to me, but if they don't have any jets I still have to find a source for them. Jim Spanier

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
i would try adding a 2nd needle valve to meter the flow as the regulator was acting as your flow control and since that is gone now the gas is just controled buy the main valve which could be a very blunt needle or coarse threads. They are pretty funky about threads on the bushings and stuff and I assume the jet was made for that application rather then using a stock part. The jet I dont think will somve your problem but adding a flow valve or a replacement regulator probally will.

I have a good fine thread valve that has 1/8" pipe on both sides of you want to go that route. I just need to see what it cost me probally about 20.00-25.00

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason; thanks for the reply! You might be right about the jet but it was the first thing I thought of. Sure would have been nice to call aristo for a replacement regulator or better yet a diaphragm kit, but we all know how that would go!!! I got ahold of Tom & Diana at S.S. & they're sending me one each of a #3-5-6 jet & the 1BA taper tap & a bottom tap, so I should be able to re-tap my jet holder & thus be able to easily change jets at will. Diana told me about the sale, & it's really sad that it has to go this way, but , they know what they have to do under the circumstances. I've been dealing with them since 2001!
I really like your inline valve & if the smaller jet doesn't do the job I'll definitely take it! If you can set it off to the side for 2 or 3 weeks I sure would appreciate it. I'll have my parts & installed by then & I'll let you know the outcome, one way or the other. Thanks for your help. Jim Spanier

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Keep us posted on how the smaller jet works out. I've been considering a smaller jet for mine too. I replaced the stock Aristo gas tank with an Accucraft K-27 tank, and with the gas turned down as far as it will go without sputtering out, I'm still making more steam than the safety valve can handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts