G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Aristo Mikado will smoke for about halfway around my 18 foot oval, then quit.  (It will smoke for quite a while sitting still).  The only way to get it going again is to turn the switch off, then back on.  Anybody know how to fix this?

·
Super Modulator
21,149 Posts
could be a lot of reasons... are you running constant track power, if so how much?

check my web site, search for "smoke", detailed writeup on the aristo unit.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Usually means you're not putting enough fluid. You NEED something to measure. I find my mallet is much happer now that I use 2 1/2 to 3 ml of fluid and gets lots less fluid dripping out the bottom.

You can find these at a Hobby Lobby among the science toys. It sucks up about 2 1/2 ML of fluid easily and reaches almost to the bottom of the aristo bottle.

Also, I use the Aristo fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I don't have an Aristo Mikado but I do have an Aristo smoke unit. These are well known to have issues just as you described. It's most likely a defective unit. The reason it quits is because of two reasons, either you run over a section of dirty track that temporarily (as in just for an instant) loses power to the smoke unit. Just as you described the only way to get it going again is to shut the power off.

Second, it may have a bad heat sensor. When idling, assuming you are not DCC, then it gets less power to the unit. When running more power generates more heat.

You could run some tests. Does it always shut off in the same section of track? If so clean it real good and see if the unit still works now, and maybe shuts off at a different location? To see if it's heat related start the loco at particular spot and if it stops after a certain amount of time, then start it at a different section and see if it's about the same amount of time.

There a couple of things you could do, but first I would first see if Aristo will replace the smoke unit.

A couple of things thing you can do if your up to it is make it so more pickups power the smoke unit, so when you run over a section of dirty track and lose connection for an instant the smoke unit still gets power. The reason the loco keeps going is there are many pickups for the engine. The other thing I did was since I run DCC, I hooked up one of the DCC outputs to control the power to the smoke unit and if it stopped I just hit the button to turn it off and back on again without having to restart.

·
Super Modulator
21,149 Posts
I'm waiting to know what power he is running... his statement implies constant track power. I'm not going anywhere else until I understand the fundamentals.

Regards, Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts