G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I received my Aristo mallet, but once I got it running, my heart fell, because I noticed it was surging, as if there was something binding in the mechanism. I ran it for about 30 minutes to see if it would smooth out, but it really didn't seem to get any better or worse. I ran it slower, and I could hear every time it would slow down a gear grinding type noise. At higher speed it emits a very low humming sound, very much like a tractor or lawn mower. I've contacted Aristo about the problem, but thought I'd ask around here and make sure that I do indeed have a defective engine, and I'm not just missing something

G

·
So sorry to hear your new engine doesn't run wright, cant say im suprised thou, but the good news is give them a call they will pick it up and repair for free, just sucks to have a new loco not run out of the box.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif
Nick

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I found out about the free pickup and all that, I'm just mad that I have a brand new engine that I'm going to have to wait 4-5 weeks to make it run right. So far, I'm not impressed at all with Aristos quality control.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to post a follow up, that when I lifted the front mechanism off the track, I was quite surprised to see that everything shut off. Lights, smoke, etc. Basically, I've discovered that neither the tender or the rear set of drivers is picking up power. After not owning an Aristo product in awhile and seeing the QC put into this one, I don't think I'll make the same mistake again.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I unfortunately know the dropped heart feeling.. Wow, I'm surprised to hear of one with those two issues so bad. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif Yeah I guess it's either a pickup and fix or tear into it and troubleshoot yourself are the only options. It's one reason I got so far into these to troubleshoot them so I wouldn't have to wait to get them back AND to make sure they were fixed correctly and permanently. Aristo should hopefully get you fixed up if you send it back to them though. Keep us posted and sorry to hear the bad news.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
How annoying!

Those are always smooth-as-silk out of the box.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I decided to get an email off to the folks at G scale junction, and they're going to get me a new engine from Aristo. Kudos to them for stepping up to the plate!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I would all let you know, I decided to call G Scale Junction, and they are having Aristo pick up the engine and GSJ is sending me a brand new replacement "ASAP"

G

·
Jims a good guy for doing that for ya, i just hope the next one is trouble free/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif but im thinking you may get another but lets hope not, by the way jim does not see these as they get shipped direct so he's not at fault for bad QC
Nick....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, seeing as many other users have had excellent luck with theirs, I doubt I'll get another one like this one, and I did explain that I know it's not his fault for what happened, with something like this it very rarely is the retailers fault. I'm definitely looking forward to doing business with GSJ again

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
That's very nice of them to take care of it for you. Aristo does support the retailers well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I got a call from Aristocraft, and they told me that they are not willing to simply replace the engine, they are going to try and repair it. I tried to explain to them that I hadn't paid for a repaired engine, but they didn't seem inclined to listen. Hopefully it isn't out for 4-6 weeks like they say it could be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK, now i am confused. You said G Scale Junction was sending you a replacement and now you are saying Aristo is repairing it. Sounds like someone is getting their signals crossed here. Just for clarification, I just spoke with Maryanne, Aristo is picking up your locomotive and replacing it with a new one, not a repaired one.

George

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, well maybe I misunderstood, but I got a call from Sherry at Aristo saying that they were sending me a shipping label, and I was supposed to write a letter describing precisely what was wrong with the locomotive, and then if the locomotive could not be repaired, they were going to replace it. The exact letter I received from Jim at G scale Junction said that he was going to call Aristocraft and get the problem taken care of. He then informed me that I was supposed to pack up the mallet for UPS pickup, which I assumed was fine, and Jim said he would be giving Aristocraft my address and phone number. I assumed this was all fine until I received the call from Sherry at AristoCraft, saying that they would be repairing the locomotive, not replacing it. So, perhaps I misunderstood something on the phone when speaking to him, but I heard that if the locomotive could be repaired, it would be, otherwise it would be replaced.

G

·
I hope Aristo takes your new one out of the box and lets nevin check it out 1st before they ship it to you that way you will get a engine that will run.. there service guy nevin or navin is 1st rate when it comes to repairs, good luck and let us know how it runs when it arrives...;)
Nick

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, after all the confusion, I decided to call Aristo myself again to clarify things, and I was told that whatever my preference is is fine, I just have to state what the problem is, and if I would like it replaced or repaired. Whatever my preference is is what they will do. Must have just been a miscommunication then.

G

·
Welp, if it were mine i would say have navin at aristo repair yours then you know you have a good engine after that, and not take the chance on getting another bad one. by the way a little birdy told me you are only 15 years old? if so, its great to see younger people getting into the hobby, you WILL have a blast..... you may run into a few hickups along the way, but if you have any future problem dont hesatate to ask questions here, lots of good folk on this forum and a few others..
Nick

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, to answer your question, I am 15. I got started when I was about 5 and my uncle gave me a G gauge Lionel Thomas with two coaches and a oval of track. I was like "Real trains don't have faces" and my dad bought me a a Lionel Atlantic and a few freight cars, and after that I was hooked! I started out with a little layout in two bays of our 4 car garage, but my dad soon kicked me out so his cars could go back in the garage, and I got relegated to our small basement with 4' diameter turns, and pretty soon I fell in love with an Aristo Pacific, and I simply HAD to have it. I saved my allowance money for at least a year to buy it, and then my dad bought me some 5' diameter curves so I could run the Pacific, and I built a simple oval in the backyard that was raised up on 2X4s for easy maintenance. No ballast or anything. The railroad was torn down shortly after for R3 (8' diameter) turns for more realistic running.

Anyway, enough of my reminiscing. I did think about having it repaired, but I asked if they could test the engine, and write a letter stating who it had been tested by, and what tests were performed, just to make sure I don't get another lemon, I just don't want a repaired engine that may not last as long as a new one that's actually right.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts