G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Jim

I use QSI and DCC, but I'm not pushing it. It works well for me and I like it, but whether or not it works for someone else depends on a bunch of things. I've got QSI decoders in locos from LGB, Bachmann, USAT and Aristo. It works equally well in all of them, but the installation was a little different in all of them.

Aristo has some quality control issues, no doubt about it. When the PnP socket works, it's really great. Sometimes the PnP socket works great, sometimes it has some little oddities--like you can't pick up power from the tender and the loco at the same time, unless you rewire a switch. On one of mine the polarity was reversed. But with my RS-3, the QSI board dropped in and started working right away. The GP-40 has the issues Ted mentioned, which I suspect are due to the motor pulling too much current. But Ted knows more than I do.

I would especially worry about trying to actually use the track/battery switch on an aristo loco. But one or the other usually works well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lownote, Yes I have experienced some of those oddities but not quite like yours. I have smoked an RS-3 and U25B while running on a battery car. I have had good success with the GP-40, SD-45, Dash9, E8 and latest C-16 running off of track or battery power with no mods to wiring. The next test of how well they are wired is when they get REVO's installed. Is any body running radio controlled DCC from battery? Might try that next..............Jim

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
You could start a thread about that if you wanted Jim.

Ted's point here is a specific loco, although I have encountered the same wheel issues on other Aristo locos.

The thread has nothing to do with plug and play.

Ted is not the only person who has encountered these kind of problems. He's probably the first person to do a thorough and objective, factual investigation.

The fact that Aristo indicated they were going to order a large quantity of replacement motors speaks volumes.

Remember these motors are unique to the GP40.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm oddities????? That an interesting concept...... with all due respect Jim i like you and you have almost as many Aristo units as i due but oddities is not the word i would use. I refraned from commenting out of respect for you in another thread called truce but oddities is not what happening and im going too leave it THAT ................Most of you know my email And i will explain...................... Now im getting pissed again........... And as far as some one commenting on customer service and making things RITE welllllllllllllll your wrong again...........
No surprise....... drinky drink time......
Now see you all at Yorky I'l be the one with the Big Fat Smilely face on That says Nicky................ I NEED TO GO TO A BAR AFTER THIS ONE..........
But i do hope Ted was given what he was promised and not a bunch of BS like is the usual ARISTO BULL S-IT......... MAYBE MY BUDDIE AT THIS POINT FROM C.T. WILL CHIME IN AND TELL ME HE'S A KOOL AIDER? AND CRY SOME MORE? Im out i need a find some wild Blonde Chics........

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Ted,

Are there any numbers or markings on the motor itself? Would be interesting to see if there was any information online about it.

Mark

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
I have been on the side of this investigation, I don't own any, but have been tracking Ted's and other's problems.

There were no manufacturer's model numbers, but Ted found some mabuchi specs that made some sense, I think Aristo did indicate they were mabuchi... Ted knows more on this one.

I have theories about what happened to the motors, but still holding them in private until I get more info.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 20 Jan 2010 08:01 PM
I have been on the side of this investigation, I don't own any, but have been tracking Ted's and other's problems.

There were no manufacturer's model numbers, but Ted found some mabuchi specs that made some sense, I think Aristo did indicate they were mabuchi... Ted knows more on this one.

I have theories about what happened to the motors, but still holding them in private until I get more info.

Regards, Greg

Can you say junk?

·
Registered
58 Posts
1) Would a NEW person to our hobby be happy, with ALL this trouble?

2) Would a NEW person be willing to buy & fix a NEW toy?

3) Would a NEW person stay in the hobby, with things like this happening?

Please respond, Thanks

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Posted By markoles on 20 Jan 2010 07:31 PM
Ted,

Are there any numbers or markings on the motor itself? Would be interesting to see if there was any information online about it.

Mark

Mark, I did look. The failed Rock Island GP40, road number 392, rear truck motor was stamped with number KorR-74577261. It was the only number I could find on it.

-Ted

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Ted, that looks like it might be possible that it a Z instead of a 7... Z4577261 ... loot at the small "tail" going to the right at the bottom of that letter, and the top seems a bit different from the other 7's.

What do you think?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Greg,

It looks like it could be a "Z", but when I had the motor and looked at it with a magnifying glass, I could not tell.

The more distant picture suggests it is a "Z".
But either way, can you make sense of it?
Maybe that number has to do with a date or propitiatory drawing.

-Ted

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
More likely than not, the motors are proprietary OEM offerings built specifically for Aristo. Even if the motor is physically an industry standard; it will be wound and equipped with worm gears or similar per Aristo specifications. What this means it not available on the open market. You can all but forget locating a replacement me thinks.

Buhlers spec built motors for LGB, the short shaft version is 30x50x2.5mm, dual shaft.

I’d go out on a limb and suggest Aristo gets the motor for the GP-40 right the second time around. It’s typical for multiple entities to be involved in bringing said products to market, most of the time components/sub-assemblies/assemblies are out sourced to OEM vendors and one OEM doesn’t have a clue what the latter is doing as they’re only focused on providing there product as specified, how the parts/components inter-act with others is moot at this level and likely unknown. It all comes down to “Research and Development� Engineers spec stuff, development procures the bits and pieces and our role is testing it!

Aristo â€" Crest â€" Cermag offers a minimal line of generic DC electric motors for hobby use which are believed to be of Mabuchi origin.

Michael

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Well this ant good. I have two of the first 40s delivered and one had a “bad” noise from the get go. I investigated it and found a black powdery substance in the motor block coming from the motor. Being a true believer in the discipline of denial I buttoned it up and have successfully ignored it so far. These are 2 of my favorite prime movers and just could not bear the thought of sending them back to Aristo and doing without them (yep - other one now too) for who knows how long. After reading this thread I am truly depressed now. Well I guess I will suck it up and send the geeps back to AC and hope for the best. I have no problems with the wheels as I am a battery dragger.
Ted

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Ted, if you disconnect the motors and test the motor blocks separately, I believe you will find excessive current draw in the motors with the most "black powder" ... Another symptom is reduced rpm.. It's worth measuring the current draw.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I read this shaking my head! My wife purchased a BN GP40 for me for Christmas. I'm also awaiting the QSI board to stick in the unit.

Haven't even ran mine yet, any suggestion on what I should do to try to curve these problems? I will fix the wires rubbing on the inside (I have to open it to put the board in). Any other suggestions?

Plan on running this unite on DC and DCC.

I guess in the end, if it all goes out, I always wanted a dummy unit. ;-)

Vernon G
BA, OK

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Vernon:

There are many people who have not had the motor problem. Yet. I have a personal opinion that all the motors in the GP40's are the same, and once you get the motor to a certain temperature, the problem happens.

But these are personal opinions, based on the information at hand. Not definite. If more people report the same problem, then my opinions will be "stronger".

It could also be that only some of the motors have this problem.

On the wheels, again, I find it hard to believe this is NOT a common situation. Nothing to do here but buy more wheels when the plating goes bad. What makes it go bad fastest is not clear, but logic would say heavy loads, curves would help.

I have a number of Aristo locos, and, in my experience, the plating is substandard. It wears more quickly than other locos from other manufacturers that I run just as often on the same track with the same loads.

Regards, Greg

21 - 40 of 93 Posts