G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i wasn't going to share this because I am hoping it will become an artical for GRYs.
But I was so EXCITED and happy with the looks so far.
Brain Donovan posted some photos on GRYs site.
I have always loved the serria cars but as my RR grew they were just to small. I did not know untill I saw the photos that there is longer cars.
so based on those two photos and my friend BUBBA having some cars for sale I was able to make this come to pass.

I'm doing a step by step and hopefully some year they may run it.
I love the 1:20th scale folks with those new cars, but they are way to big for me.

I'm just so happy with the way these are turning out.

The cars are 66' 6" long at roof, X 10' 6" wide at roof.

Max sleeps in his kennel while I work.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nice job there Morty Covair!
I really like the idea of making the Sierras more prototypical with the longer wheelbase. I may have to do that to a set of mine.

These are the pics of the Sierra prototype at the B&O museum (sorry about the fuzziness) -

-Brian Donovan (aka Brain Davion)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Nice indeed!

I love my sierra coaches, but I might keep mine shorties.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
atless I gave you credit for helping me get the idea.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Looks good CM. also something for me to consider down the road as had something similar in HO. Really liked them. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you notice his door is open, he opened it to go in.
I think I have the paint figure out. Just need to work on the under side of it.

The blue tape is inside so paint does not go through the window areas.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
looking really nice!! What did you use to cut the ends of the cars off. Is your 66' 6" long at roof, X 10' 6" wide in 1/29.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Early varnish is a soft spot of mine. One can tell when you see the stack of completed to completely unstarted Labelle and Westwood HO passenger cars in my collection.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Marty,
You have GOT TO convince Lewis to make these. My Rio Grande NEEDS them!

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Marty,

Great idea!! I was thinking about cutting and splicing my LGB passenger cars similar to what you've done. If you have time, could you post a picture of one of your new sierra cars with one of your heavyweight cars? I'm interested to see a side by side comparison.

For inspiration, here's the Strasburg Railroad's Western Maryland coach, which has the arched windows like on your car. The closed vestibule is different, but you get the idea:

From: http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=Strasburg;action=displayphoto;num=1144772158;photo=Strasburg/2-3.jpg

The roofing material appears to be some kind of canvas or other cloth. An ultra flat color gives the look and feel.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Looks terrific, Marty, thats a great way to take something most would consider too small or old fashioned for a more contemporary layout and make something more modern out of. I look forward to seeing a string of them in the future

Marty's great work aside, I still think the Aristo Sierra's will look alot better being pulled by a larger 1/24 or 1/22.5 engine. I still hold if those are supposed to be 1/29, then I'm a Chinese Fighter Pilot

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I think a few of those would look rather dandy behind the Aristo std gauge 2-8-0 whenever it comes out.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Ted no better time to think about building your own. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once they are done I will have a video behind the pacific, The joint in the roof , I guess I'm going to have to live with it because the roof has a texture on it.
One car the side joints turned out great , the other, fair.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Marty,

Try using some spray on ultra flat black. It seems to give its own texture and might make the roof look more uniform:

Don't look at the nasty taping job of mine. Look at the roof. Not sure how well you can see it...

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The proto roofs are strips of tar paper roofing . It is fairly straightforward to simulate tar paper with tissue and glue, or tissue and paint, or even masking tape and paint. Paint the roof, and while wet add strips of paper towel or tissue, lay them out , and when dry paint again over the paper or saturate the paper with glue and a brush. Makes a very good roof, with no seams except the ones you want to see.
jonathan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts