G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to make A vs B threads but I really don't know what to do. I have an LGB Denver and Rio Grande Alco DL535E. For those that don't remeber this train was part of the Queen Mary Edition LGB came out with. (pictured below)

[url="

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think that the difference is way more than cosmetic. I am biased since I own 5 SD45's, two in Rio Grande. The answer is pulling power, and plain running. In a pulling contest a friend's SD45 pulled exactly the same 168 lb train, that my Dash Nine pulled. I don't know anyone who has had problems with an SD45. My first RG is now seven years old and going strong. I have some RS3s with only two axles per truck, and there is no comparison as to the way the six axle trucks stay on the tracks also. I vote enthusiastically for the SD45.
Paul

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I Agree to Paul Bottino vote SD45. I have 3 SD45 one is Rio Grande, one is BN and one is Pennsylvania. Aristo SD45 about Rio Grande there is 4 Road number. 5319,5326,5328,and 5333. my is no.5319. SD45 is powerful weight 15lbs. I never have any problem with Single Sd45 towing 40 cars or more. I love it!

I dont have any GP40 yet.

Here a Photo Aristo-Craft SD45 Denver & Rio Grande Western no.5319 and Aristo-Craft Caboose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im glad you brought that up. That was one question I had on my list that I wanted to ask. Does the GP-40 come in more then one road number. I definitely want more then one engine and I don't want two engines with the same road number. Has anyone else had problems with the GP 40 motor?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I hear about GP40 motor block and SD45 motor block, both motor block can match same speed slow but RS3,FA-1,U25 all Three have fast speed! you can match RS3 and GP 40 it didnt hurt each motor! Rs-3 spinning wheel fast and GP 40 spinning wheel slower! The SD45 motor block have 2 motor each truck! total is 4 motor on Single SD45.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was going to go with the GP 40 but it sounds like the SD45 is much better. I'm going to go to the train store tomorrow and see how much I can get for my LGB Rio Grande. I'm hoping I can get enough for it to at least do a trade.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'll have to agree that the SD 45 is a nice locomotive. I only have 3 of them. I also have 2 GP 40's. The only thing that I don't like about the 45's, is that they wont go where the 40"s will, and they will find bad track work for you every time.

Loco Lee

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well the SD45s are great but you will need to correct back to back spacing to get them to really operate good through turnouts. I have 3 of them and now after making the correction I can run them any where. I also have 4 GP40s and they also are great operating locos but they due draw a little more current. Later RJD

·
Registered
390 Posts
Posted By Slickrick214 on 07 Sep 2010 12:12 AM
Well I was going to go with the GP 40 but it sounds like the SD45 is much better. I'm going to go to the train store tomorrow and see how much I can get for my LGB Rio Grande. I'm hoping I can get enough for it to at least do a trade.

In my opinion the main difference between the GP-40 and the SD-45 (aside from what has been mentioned) is the number of axles. With 4 axles the GP-40 will have less traction but go around a tighter curve than the SD-45 and the reverse is true in that the SD-45 needs wider curves to run on.

One major difference is that your LGB loco even with its 6 axles will go around even a 4' diameter curve. Another difference is that your loco has hook and loop couplers but both the GP-40 and SD-45 would need some cutting away and extra effort to fit hook and loop couplers to them. Of course if you want knuckle couplers this is not an issue.

If you are interested in a trade let me know and we may be able to work something out. I'll send you an email about it.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well then let me ask you your opinion on this. If your tight on space then do you think the GP-40 would be better because it can take smaller curves. Also maybe I'm missing something here but the GP-40 has less pulling power because it only has one motor per truck but does that really matter if your going to have two or three engines linked together to pull a bunch of freight cars?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Posted By aceinspp on 07 Sep 2010 09:06 AM
Well the SD45s are great but you will need to correct back to back spacing to get them to really operate good through turnouts. I have 3 of them and now after making the correction I can run them any where. I also have 4 GP40s and they also are great operating locos but they due draw a little more current. Later RJD

How do you do that and is it hard to do? If you don't correct the problem what happens do the trains derail or come un coupled?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
One other issue is what type of power system you are using. If you are running on battery or are ever planing on converting to battery, the GP40 will run good on a 2 amp battery where the SD45 which has 3 axle trucks really needs a 3 amp battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was going to run it from a power pack. I have an Aristo Craft 55451 3.5 Amp DC power supply pack with a 1.8 amp power supply controller. I wasn't going to ever run it on battery. I like using good old fashion power packs. To me I save battery powered trains for the cheap junk you buy in Toys R US for 50 dollars.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Posted By Slickrick214 on 07 Sep 2010 10:53 AM
Well then let me ask you your opinion on this. If your tight on space then do you think the GP-40 would be better because it can take smaller curves. Also maybe I'm missing something here but the GP-40 has less pulling power because it only has one motor per truck but does that really matter if your going to have two or three engines linked together to pull a bunch of freight cars?

In my opinion if you are tight on space the GP-40 would be a better choice. Even though the SD-45 (and E-9) can make it through 8' (R3) diameter curves they really do not like doing it and will jump the rails given a chance. I had to load my SD-45's down with a lot of weight to keep them from derailing when going through my 8' curves and turnouts.

From my perspective SD-45's are best with long trains on wide curves while GP-40's are best when anything less than 10' diameter curves are used and long trains (without multiple units) are involved.

With your LGB loco you are also giving up your traction tires so you will need a more weight to get the same traction out of either a GP-40 or a SD-45.

Another factor (since you mentioned that you will be track powered - as most of my trains are) for reasons I do not understand the MUing of the GP-40 and SD-45 (and E-8) is DISCONNECTED when running under track power. The MU PLUG ONLY HAS POWER WHEN BATTERY POWER IS SELECTED.

When you start talking about MUing two or three of these locos you will need to get a different power supply of at least 5 amps for two locos and probably should look at least at 10 amps if you are thinking about 3 locos. The power supply has to handle not only the loco but also the smoke units, sound systems, lights plus the lights etc. of anything you are pulling with the loco which can even include smoke units in Aristo-Craft cabooses.

You have a lot of variables (which is fine) but every variable is increasing your total amp needs.

Regarding traction it is not so much the motor size as it is the weight of the locos and the number of wheels transmitting that weight into traction on the rails. I suspect both the GP-40 and SD-45 wheels would slip before the motor gave out (unless weights were added) but I have not tried it.

There have been some discussions about the durability of the GP-40 vs the SD-45 but when I looked into them (before buying my GP-40's) the users I talked to were happy with them. Some of the issues were more related to battery consumption rather than motor failures. At least one person put FA-1 motor blocks on his GP-40 but that was mainly to get longer battery runs.

While I have and run the GP-40's, E-8's and SD-45's I have not run any of them long enough to give any sort of qualified opinion regarding their relative durability and I don't pull long heavy trains except I do have to pull some heavy streamliners up steep ramps. For that I went to SD-45's with extra weights.

In most cases I think that most people end up happy when they buy what appeals to them. If you happen to prefer a GP-40 or a SD-45 you would probably be happy with whichever one you prefer.

Jerry

·
Registered
390 Posts
Posted By Slickrick214 on 07 Sep 2010 12:07 PM
To me I save battery powered trains for the cheap junk you buy in Toys R US for 50 dollars.

Now you have really pushed the hot buttons. You may want to change your alias after posting that.

Turn the lions loose!

Here is a little gasoline for the fire (I bought several of these for $10 each):

Regards,

Jerry

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Bolth the SD-45 and the GP-40 have there fair share of issues, the SD-45s were mostly motor block related issues. the GP-40 has had a whole host of issues including motor block gear and motor issues, wiring issues. wheel platting problem galore. So my suggestion would be to read up before you buy so you know what your getting yourself into before you buy either. heres one link search the forums there are plenty of threads out there. Have you thought about a USA p-38 ? now thats a Quality loco.....

http://www.mylargescale.com/Communi...fault.aspx

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Slick (or is it Rick?) (just kidding)

Why not start off at the beginning, what diameter curves are you using? That would sure help the recommendations.

You can connect multiple Aristo locos together with the "mu" connector, but you need to check them out electrically first, sometimes they are wired wrong.

Pulling power is really more determined by the weight of the loco, more wheels do not make a difference, in fact, if all the wheels don't contact the rail evenly, more wheels is worse.

You will run out of traction before you run out of motor, so the 2 vs 4 motor thing (especially with the larger motors in the GP 40) really does not hold.

And lastly, the GP40 draws more current than the SD45, again owing to a unique motor in the GP40, not used in any other Aristo product.

The SD45 is time proven and a workhorse. The GP40 can do well, but has had more production quality issues than other Aristo diesels.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Either way if either the GP-40 or SD45 isn't heavy enough to get good traction for the load I'm pulling how would you make it heavier. Don't both come with lead blocks for extra weight?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts