G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running my new PRR E-8 and B&O Pacific today on a temp layout, and noticed that compared to my B&O Pacific the E-8 is much slower (new versions DCC/Sound ready for both).

I am running Stainless Steel track with aristo 10 amp power supply and controller. I have 24v over the entire track and amp draw is constant at about 2 amp at max throttle on both.

Has anyone else noticed this is it normal or do I have a problem.
Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Possibly same transmition, but different sized drivers are causing the Pacific to run faster. The large drivers on the Pacific will cover more track with each rotation than the smaller E-8 drivers.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
The Aristo Ultima 10 amp power pack under a one engine load like the E8 will output 21 volts at best. The Pacific will be less of a load on this supply and the output would be higher when running the Pacific.
This is due to the Ultimaa being a non regulated supply and tyhe output drops under larger loads.

The 13 amp Elite is usually at 22.5 volts but can be tweaked to 24 volts. This is a regulated supply and the load does not change the output voltage level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts