G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Gotta have Stanley spinning.
"beyond anything conceived in DCC..."

Readouts...........but who is going to teach the average consumer to read?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick, three of us were given them to beta test. I was very surprised when UPS showed up at my door with it. Although they are not available yet to the general public, I would expect to see them at the East Coast Large Scale Train Show.

The transmitter is about 6 1/2 (including the antenna) x 2 1/2 x 1 inches. It has a removable belt clip, will fit in a shirt pocket, or stand on its own so it can be found by absent-minded people like me. It fits nicely in my hand and is easy to program and use. The faster, slower, stop, direction change, locomotive selection, menu and on/off keys are all easily activated with one hand. The keypad is a little awkward for me with one hand, but no problem with two as the keys are a decent size and nicely spaced. The information on the screen is easy to read even with my failing eyesight. The stubby antenna which is less than an inch long should please my fellow club members who walk in fear when the see me coming with my current fencing foil antenna. It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

The receiver is easy to install. Like the transmitter, the antenna on the receiver is very short. No more messing around trying to wrap a metre of wire in the roof of a locomotive. In my GP-40 the receiver is mounted in top of the hood which is good for range. Like everyone in the north I am surrounded with snow, so outdoor testing will have to wait, however the radio response from my basement to the second story of my home was immediate. Perhaps if we get a mild spell I will try it outdoors.

The basic programming is very easy as everything is menu driven. A number of the functions are optional and have factory defaults so you can skip them, get linked and running quickly. Once linked, you can change most of the functions with the transmitter menus on the fly. That allows you to try different momentum settings, reverse direction delays, etc, and see compare the results right away. I look forward to using the reverse delay feature when switching.

The headlights on my GP-40 were not in synch with the locomotive direction. No problem! Scroll down to HD LIGHT on the set up menu and change it with the push of a button. That’s sure a lot easier than changing the motor wires over. On my GP-40 the headlights go out when at a full stop, but the cab, number board and porch lights remain on which is nice. I don’t know if this is a feature of the locomotive or the receiver. Obviously I still have a lot to learn about all it features.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Greg!

The locomotives in a consist are all given the same binding (linking) number. This is similar to the channel number used with the 75 MHz receiver. The documentation indicates more than two locomotives can be used in a consist and they will all act as one.

I see no reason that a number of consists could not be assembled and run, unless JJ has the transmitter. Each consist would have its own consist/binding/linking number. There are 50 of them to choose from.

It will be a while before I can actually test this in the real world as it would require at least four locomotives equipped with the new receiver.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The headlights for each locomotive can be independently switched from normal to reverse using the set up menu should they not be in sync with the motor direction.

I would assume to control the headlights (or any other lights) separately would require wiring them to the auxiliary wiring harness. The set up menu would then be used to choose between a momentary or latching option. The harness with plug in connector allows 6 separate functions such as: horn, bell, lights, etc. to be activated and controlled by keys on the transmitter.

·
Vendor
3,324 Posts
Posted By Paul Norton on 12/24/2008 11:16 PM
Hi Greg!

I see no reason that a number of consists could not be assembled and run, unless JJ has the transmitter[/b]. (my bold) Stan

Very, very well stated, Paul.... You can never predict what might happen if that's the case...... :) :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Paul get your butt out there and clear the rails...
How many amps can it handle?
can I use it with 4 locos? or should I keep all the 5470s??

·
Super Modulator
21,613 Posts
I see Paul. In DCC terms, consisting means taking several locos, all with independent "id's" and making a single address to control them by. When breaking up the consist, or adding a loco or deleting a loco, the members of the consist revert to their original "id's". (In reality they never "lost" their individual id's, they just gained an additional id for membership in the consist.)

In the Aristo system, it seems you must RENUMBER a loco to give it the same id as the other locos in the "consist". This is done by "rebinding", i.e. reprogramming the loco with the program button.

Is there any other way to group locos without touching/reprogramming them?

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,613 Posts
I think we could be (meaning a suggestion) more careful about certain terms.

"MU" in prototype means common control, not common power.
On the Aristo forum, the battery connectors are often called "MU cables", but how the locos are wired can make things different.
In this case, Tom has use "MU" differently.

On the new TE, there does not seem to be any DCC-style "consisting" or "MU" capability.

It seems all you can do is make all the locos the same "address" by re-programming (binding).

This is a "feature" in EVERY R/C system that lets you set an address for a loco, like the old TE.

I think you MIGHT be able to use one receiver for 2 locos, but you need to rewire the locos, and the wiring would also depend on battery or track power.

Finally, with 2 locos, I'm sure in warmer ambient, you will need a cooling fan. The heat sink looks very nice, but you need airflow to get the heat off the heatsink!

Not picking on Aristo, but there seems to be a lot of confusion, and the word "consisting" comes up, when comparing to DCC, which it seems that this is not "more than DCC" on the new TE.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
OH, Greg
everyone over on AC board knows you like to pick on Aristo.
If there is an issue , you'll find it....
We trust you.
heheheheheheh
Not picking on Aristo, but there seems to be a lot of confusion, and the word "consisting" comes up, when comparing to DCC, which it seems that this is not "more than DCC" on the new TE.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,613 Posts
Yeah Marty you found me out! Every post over there was my attempt to "control the forum" and "push the envelope", not to help others or find out how to make my locos and cars better, or how to fix them. (according to the "king")

I'm just a nasty old guy ha ha ha.

I do take extreme exception to some of the statements made about the new TE on the Aristo site, and I think that making the statement "does more than DCC" and refusing to back up such a ridiculous statement is misleading. I know it's not true, but there's a lot of kool aide going around and people WANT to believe.

It's important, in my opinion, that people have a good understanding of what a system does BEFORE investing in it. I know that you have experimented with other systems, and lucky for you Marty, you are high enough profile that people will loan you the equipment to try out.

But the average joe, who is spending his hard earned cash on a system he has never seen, or is able to try out first, that person really needs the benefit of honest, objective, forthright information.

That's what can really irk me sometimes.

I think the new system will be a good follow on to the old TE system, more complicated, more features, but not a giant leap in functionality nor complexity. That's Aristo's "niche" in my opinion.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Greg
If you would keep away from that JR or RJ fellower, you'd do just fine.
I wish I could try out some things. But Paul Norton does a great job of writing things up.
I think I have saved almost all of his diagrams.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Paul
thank you for the write up and link ..... it is always nice to see a little info on a new product

I would guess that unlike DCC if you have two engines that have the same number but need different power requirements to run the same speed you have no way to program the receiver with a different power curve for the percentage of throttle you have dialed up........

also does the receiver have anyway to program in either a mars light or beacon light or firebox flicker like Digitrax DCC ?

1 - 20 of 257 Posts