G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please pass on the wheel size and axle spacing on the Aristo-craft center cab diesel ? 
I wish to model a loco from Australia called the 'Harman' which was built in Port Melbourne Australia (1927) for the Tyers Valley Tramway in Erica Victoria Australia.
It was a complete flop for the job so they bought a Climax in the end, Oh well !
The trucks look like they may do with modification or rebuild of the side frames.

Looks a bit plain fugly but that's they way I like em !
It was a 2'6er and had a small piston on each side of the trucks to an internal reduction gear centered below then reduction chains to each axle.
Axle spacing on the prototype is about 3'6" so I need about 53mm which is way small but close enough will do.
A published plan is available in 'Narrow Gauge Downunder' mag Oct 2007 if anyone is interested.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Best I can measure it is , 2 3/8" axle spaceing , wheel 1 3/16" , ' NOT' includeing the flange .
Wheel OAD 1 3/8 ".
Hope this helped , good luck .  :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dennis

That is about 60mm which is about 12% larger than prototype which I guessed it would but that is close enough. 
As for the wheels they are about right !

Excuse me for the metrification, they changed half way through my schooling here in Australia as they did with the money too.
I still use both, depending on what I am measuring.
Imperial is better suited to human size things for me.

I will order one of those Aristo pups and rip it's legs off ! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Your welcome , and post photos when that intersting loco is built .

The only metrics that I know are 9mm , 7.62 x 39 , and so on .......

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering about the powered steam bogie concept and started googling around.
This one is being restored from GWR also has the boiler on the bogie !
I am straying a bit now /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

www.railmotor93.org/railmotorpower.html

Bloody letterbox on wheels - British Mail /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
 A close up of the Harman bogie.

A bit wierd to make out but the springs are removed and the truck displaced to the right with the cradled bar that the springs sit on missing. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

Trainworld have the (plain) powered trucks (pair) listed for under $100.
I will build the truck sides myself to resemble the Harman's.  

Looks like an easy project because:-

Can use basic motor blocks.
There are no rods or mechanisms.
The Harman has a straight boiler.
The locos body is simple and boxy.
There is only a single dome and stack.
Any colour you want as long as it's black. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts