G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aristo has posted new photos of the engineering model of their forthcoming 2-8-0

Looking good, except for maybe those blind drivers. They have talked about shipping it with flanged drivers you can swap in

They are aiming for "early 2009" production.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
It looks to me as though the cylinders sit too high, compared to the centerline of the drivers. Is that prototypical? Anybody know what (if any) prototype they're using?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Its appears to be a combination of several B&O E-27 sub-classes, say an E-27 tender an a E-27a or b
series engine, 100 tonners... Whatever, it'll make a nice light consolidation, should make a good little
steamer for a lot of folks with with small layouts...
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
So, let's put the two photos together for comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I'd say it's not that exact loco, but certainly representative of the type.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
B&O wasn't widely known for sticking to a certain appearance of their classes (as I have come to understand).
I like it alot, fix the cylinders, I agree they are too high, and I'll buy one, wrong scale and all

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
To me it looks like the entire structure, boiler, cab and cylinders is about 1/4" or 3/16" to high because the ashpan is resting ontop of Aristos universal drive "box" and not just above the driver. Take into account the flanges on Aristo and you're "halfway there".

But it's not a direct side shot so :)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Posted By Hagen on 09/28/2008 12:24 PM
To me it looks like the entire structure, boiler, cab and cylinders is about 1/4" or 3/16" to high because the ashpan is resting ontop of Aristos universal drive "box" and not just above the driver. Take into account the flanges on Aristo and you're "halfway there".

But it's not a direct side shot so :)" align="absmiddle" border="0" />

Hagen,

That's what it looks like to me as well. I think if you lowered the entire assembly about 1/4", you'd have a dead ringer for the B&O loco in the photos.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Looks like the B&O prototype had drivers around 63", and the model uses the same 55" drivers as the Mikado and 0-4-0. The smaller drivers may be the reason why the boiler looks high.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Aristo's steam offerings have never really impressed me. The ammount of detail is low compared to the amount that is put into their diesels and the coating that they put on the drivers and rods is too shiny. This, on the other hand, looks pretty good. Lots of separately applied parts and good proportions make this model look much better, even if it is a prototype.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
This one looks a lot closer:

Davy Cormack sent that picture to me a few years ago when this project was annoucned. He also sent me line drawings:

I think it looks really good for medium / small steam. For me, it is going to be almost perfect for the New Haven's inherited Central New England Consolidations. Center the headlight, change the location of the bell, put in an arch window cab, and you are half way there.

Those looked like the mikado's 63" drivers. Where'd the 55" drivers come from?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By Torby on 09/28/2008 7:33 AM
So, let's put the two photos together for comparison.

Now is it just me or does this look surprisingly like the Lionel 4-4-2 t0 2-8-0 conversion bash

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Vic,

Differences I can see:
- drivers on the bashed Atlanticado are much further behind the cylinders than in the prototype photos (but it still looks good!)
- cross head guide is top and bottom, mikado has only top guide
- Better detail on the valve gearing. Looks like some of it may move
- no Belpaire firebox, making it less road specific (and more like my desired New Haven!)

Otherwise, its pretty close, at least as far as pictures are concerned. The 4-4-2 Atlantic I had was pretty well detailed for 1989 G scale. Not sure it is a fair comparision now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts