G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
The best prevention method is to charge a hefty fee to join the site before posting is allowed...

2nd best is to have EVERY post viewed by a moderator before it is allowed to be visible on the site.

I don't think I like either of those options.

3rd best is to have dozens of moderators that take scheduled turns reading every post and deleting the "SPAM" ones; but that can still let a few to be seen before they get deleted. Also, there is the possibility that a moderator might take it upon themselves to delete posts that are not as objectionable to the mass membership as those that are pure junk.

Some sites have a policy of keeping a new member's postings unviewable until they are approved by a moderator. A moderator has to read it and approve it, then set a flag that allows the posting to be seen. This works but may take a while for postings to appear if there are no moderators on-line at the time. Once they have 'proven' they are not spammers by making a half dozen or so posts that are on-subject, then their posts are allowed to be seen immediately. But, again this requires the time and effort of moderators to read new posts from new members to approve them and then make the decision to allow posts to be viewable immediately.

The option that has been effective for many forums is to have the membership flag SPAM postings and when a moderator happens to log-in, they then see the alert and take action.

On this forum, there is a small icon below on the left of every posting that is a gray octagon around a yellow diamond that has a black "!" in it. Members are to click that icon if they see a posting that is objectionable. That will bring up a form to fill in stating why the posting is objectionable. A Moderator will eventually see that notice and take appropriate action. Of course, that assumes the members know about that icon AND use it AND a moderator eventually logs in and sees the notice. The last part of that assumption can take a while to occur, so objectionable postings can remain long enough for many members to see it.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
The option that has been effective for many forums is to have the membership flag SPAM postings and when a moderator happens to log-in, they then see the alert and take action.

On this forum, there is a small icon below on the left of every posting that is a gray octagon around a yellow diamond that has a black "!" in it. Members are to click that icon if they see a posting that is objectionable. That will bring up a form to fill in stating why the posting is objectionable. A Moderator will eventually see that notice and take appropriate action. Of course, that assumes the members know about that icon AND use it AND a moderator eventually logs in and sees the notice. The last part of that assumption can take a while to occur, so objectionable postings can remain long enough for many members to see it.
When someone uses the "Report Post" icon (the one you're talking about), an email is sent to all the moderators. So we don't have to log on to see something flagged... we just have to read our emails. :) This speeds up the process considerably. While it's true that spam isn't deleted immediately, it's usually within a matter of hours. In the meantime, members have to exercise good judgment regarding "safe computing" and just ignore the post, and NOT click on any links contained therein.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
A more automated solution would be for a new member posting their very first post (or other recent ones), the 'Report Post' icon if used by an existing member would simply delete the post/s and new member without the moderators input. Variations on a similar scheme may work a little better like banning the new member until a mod can OK them if the system was abused by an existing member. (That will rarely be a problem though).
These posts are usually a new member and the first post because they soon become history but it takes the possible effort of several existing members and at some later stage the effort of a moderator to get rid of each and every one. It takes no effort for automated bots and will go on forever unless you make it a little more difficult for their instant success of getting a few extra views on their videos. It has to equate to 'nothing gained' for them to eventually go away.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
I tend to think the "report and ignore further" option we currently have is pretty darned efficient. We've got a small handful of moderators on (at least) three continents, so the chances are very good that between all of us, one of us will be near our e-mail and will get the notification within an hour of it being posted to us.

If we were deleting spammers like this once or twice a day (or more) then perhaps we'd consider looking at other options. As it is, we get these attacks once every few weeks or sometimes even longer. They're nuked from our rolls within a very reasonable amount of time. No sense complicating things unnecessarily.

Later,

K

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I agree Kevin. These spammers seem to come and go which makes me think it is partially a manual process.
If they were coming in by totally automated bots on a very consistent basis it may be a different matter.
As long as users report them straight away and never click on the link it will discourage the spammers from doing it.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
i clicked on one of the links accidentally thinking is said "live steam" when it said live stream.
Don't feel too bad... I came close to doing a Reply asking what the subject line had to do with 'Live Steam'... :rolleyes: And I get excited on some other forums when someone posts a message about a "Live StReam"... I guess I just gots "steam" on the brain! :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Ha! I just bagged me two of them varmits!

John

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yes folks. This be the button just below to the left in each post...
Just type 'Spam' so a forum moderator knows what the issue is.

They usually have only 1 post and use the word 'stream' so don't be tricked thinking it is 'steam'.
I reported another just then.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
You can probably expect to see new ones over and over again on the weekends... these dorks think that weekends are the best time to post the junk because they think that moderators will be away and not paying attention. I don't think it is done via "bots" but rather dorks that don't otherwise have a life and have been told they can make a lot of money by posting them.

I suggest that NO one EVER click on one of the links they post because that is how they get paid. The best way to get them to go away is to keep them from getting paid, make it not worth their while to do it here.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Uncle Spam wants you!
Join the affiliate program of spam zombies and make money for every one you post!
Yep, all those 3 cent bits will add up to something eventually.
Losers, Ha!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
one thing i noticed also is the titles dont make sense most of the time. either they are irrelevant or they are random words jumbled together

I have a suggestion. new members can post right away but their first two threads have to be approved my a moderator. spammers never seem to post in threads, they just create their own thread.

so far, i have seen 7 spam posts this weekend.

nate

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
It's a week later and I've reported two today. Must be that clowns day off. (I'd avoid clicking on that stream if I were you.) I've already reported the latest one. Times like this it's good to have some moderators to yank the problem people.

JackM

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It is probably to go to make a post stating it's been reported in the spammed thread itself so everyone else does not need to bother doing it. Also the mods won't get a series of alert eMails for the same thing. They only need one 'heads up' alert to do their bit.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts