G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
RE: Are there any Fn3 or Fn2 builders here?/ Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

I was thinking of the wheels and motor units, not the shells. I want to scratchbuild as much as possible, and I have a lathe to 'flange up' the wheels if needs be.

Les

G

·
RE: Are there any Fn3 or Fn2 builders here?/ Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

Speaking of wheels I have some I need to send you to poke a hole dead center.
I have a slouch for a machinest and my stuff is not set up yet.

Toad

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Hold off until I get my new lathe cleaned, adjusted and set up.

Les

·
Been around awhile
134 Posts

Les,

I'm not sure from your postings if you are aware that Fn3 is 1:20.3 scale equipment running on 45mm (Gauge 1) track representing 3' narrow gauge. While this is too large for mining equipment, it is just right for the road that services your mining company. It has the advantage of several large scale manufactures making ready-to-run and kits for equipment in your chosen time frame. It also makes many of us Fn3 builders, even if we don't specify it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Dave:

Oh, yeah, I'm aware. :rolleyes: I spent days putting numbers, Fn3, Fn2, to my proposed layout and bugging the guys (nice ones, lucky for me) to help me with the proper teminology.

There are several reasons for the multi-ga setup: I'm an ORG /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif (Old, Retired Guy)and I've wanted to build a RR for decades. (Literally: we had to tear down our nice Lionel when the first baby came along.) So for years I'd think about a layout when I had time to do so. Retired tool 'n die maker.

I stumbled across G Gauge by accident after having sold a collection of HO put away 'for retirement'. I couldn't see the stuff! So tiny. So, what to do? HO and downward was too small. S? Pretty expensive. Lionel? Nah, been there, done that. I want to build my stuff. O ga? Ehh... ouch, the prices. Then I saw the G stuff and as soon as I realized I could actually build, oh boy.

I had to move indoors due to health reasons before I ever got a start, the first year. So I'll have a small PP layout. I've always wanted dual gauge, and the Gurus of G Scale assure me O is the way to go. I got some O track and laid it inside a piece of G, and, yep. Then I got to thinking about a mine. I wanted narrow NG. Some more asking, searching and I came up with S ga (18" @20.3)

So, would that be Fn18, or Fn1-1/2? I haven't asked yet. (Letting 'em rest.) What do you think?

Oh, FWIW, I toyed with the notion of tinplate Lionel O ga, but in the end I didn't. The desire to scratchbuild won out.

Thanks for the headzup.

Les

G

·

Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

if your hands can manage it, it IS possible.
it's a hobby, and it is your layout.

for my part, i am building a layout in more or less 1:29, that uses G1 45mm for the mainlines, O gauge for the rural sidelines and HO going into the mine.
for my N gauge rails i found only one use so far - in the sawmill.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Posted By kormsen on 07/10/2008 8:27 AM
Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

if your hands can manage it, it IS possible.
it's a hobby, and it is your layout.

A) I was concerned about lateral instability (tipping over sideways). Since I first posted, I've decided to go with S scale. I just bought a beat up old AF engine on Ebay and hope I'm able to get the wheels off and scratch build. It occurred to me that they might crumble.

As for it being my hobby, I appreciate the reminder. I'm a newbie and am trying to figure things out.

for my part, i am building a layout in more or less 1:29, that uses G1 45mm for the mainlines, O gauge for the rural sidelines and HO going into the mine.
for my N gauge rails i found only one use so far - in the sawmill.

A)Now, there's a thought. I'm planning a sawmill based on one I used to haul logs to as a young man. Those rails would work pretty well, I think.

By the way, where are you located, again? This format does not carry sender's name over into the answer window. Somewhere in Paraguay?

Les

G

·

where are you located, again?

western paraguay. the Chaco.
that is a dry place. a lot of ranching, and some farming we got here.
about 2% of the countries population on about 60% of the land.

concerning the chance for the roling stock to tip over, i just build the things so, that they dont hang over more, than 50% of the width between the rails.

korm

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.