G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
RE: Are there any Fn3 or Fn2 builders here?/ Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

Gn15 is HO scale track at 1:22.5 (at least mostly.) In 1:20.3 it comes out to about 13 inch gauge which is a bit slim for most mining ... but not impossible. S might work ... you're probably looking for something between 18 and 24 inches for a mine track.

OTOH ... if your mining entrepreneur decided to go with 13 inch gauge and made all his own stuff.... to fit through small "wildcat" tunnels ... well, why not?

Matthew (OV)

PS. Search the archives for "Minol Mine" (use the quotes!) ... can't remember if it was in the model making, buildings, or general discussion forum .... but there were at least two long threads on mines, mine rail equipment, and other mine making ideas, with a lot of prototype photos.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
RE: Are there any Fn3 or Fn2 builders here?/ Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

S Scale is 1/64 .... and the .883 gauge scales out to 17.94 inches (or about as close to 18 inches as 32mm track is to 24 inches!)

There are all manner of locomotives in S scale, so you should be able to find a power unit to do what you want if you choose it.

Matthew (OV)

Oh, and if you WANT to use HO, it'll work. There are a lot of folks using it, a la Gn15, and with some modification, 1:20 figures will ride nicely on them. The issue is one of scale; while you will find examples of 18 inch gauge mining equipment, 13 inches is a bit small ... and in 1:20, your HO track is about 13 inch gauge. Some folks are willing to overlook that for the convenience of having equipment available (Ozark has mine motors, cars, details, etc ready to go!) while some just "see" it whenever they look. I mention the larger track only because if you want to keep to the 1:20.3 scale, you may want larger equipment than what you'd have in Gn15 to go with your 1:20.3 people and equipment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.