G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
RE: Are there any Fn3 or Fn2 builders here?/ Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

Hello Les,

I've kicked around a similar dilemma for months before settling on a "standard" for my models (on hold now that my wife lost her 13-year job & we are trying to adjust to a single income, what with a teenage daughter who was just given her own car). I like southern African steam equipment, so I've standardised on 1/24th-scale, which makes 45mm G track scale out to 3-feet 6-inches, perfect Cape Gauge!

I'll be using 2 other gauges on my (future) layout: 32mm (0) and 22mm (S). 32mm, or 0-scale, scales out to about 30-inch gauge in 1/24th-scale, and 22mm, or S-scale, scales out darn near 24-inch (2-foot) gauge in 1/24th-scale.

The natural dilemma for me is what several other fellow modelers have agonized over: use widely-available track & tools for dual-gauge 45mm & 32mm track, or bite the bullet and fabricate not only the track for dual 45/22mm track but also track gauges, turnouts, and the like.

Without rehashing a LOT of info that has already been covered before, Scotty "Chaos" (an active forum member) chronicles his sojourn through this wilderness on his 29n2 website pages: 29n2. There is a wealth of info there, and he even has a 29n2 discussion forum on Yahoo Groups.

I hope to contribute more in the near future, but at the present working overtime at my "day job" is taking up nearly all my free time.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
RE: Are there any Fn3 or Fn2 builders here?/ Is it possible to build F scale to run on HO track?

Posted By Les on 06/28/2008 9:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear of the job loss. Sorrier to hear of the teen daughter driver. (I raised a daughter ... sheesh, they all drive like nutcases, IMNSHO). (I'm kidding, in case it doesn't come across.)

Thanks,
Les

:D No worries Les, I consider this sage advice from a peer. So far my daughter is a better driver than my wife! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

The myriad of different scales and gauges all lumped into the terms "G" and even "F" "scales" make for a fascinating variety of creativity that is unmatched in any other scale/gauge combo, IMHO. There is a LOT of uncharted territory to explore, and there are some very talented and creative chaps on this site who are more than willing to share their wonderful creations (one of my recent favorites is Kevin Strong's downsizing of a Bachmann Connie from 1/20.3 to 1/22.5 - WOW!).

If you use HO ready-made track for your F creations, be sure to snip away every other tie so it doesn't look out of place...really narrow track gauge users were known to run their rails on 18- to 24-inch tie/sleeper centers. I've even recently been in some old abandoned mines where I measured 30- and 36-inch tie/sleeper centers, and these ran fairly heavy & long electric trains on them (18-inch gauge)!! One example is Delamar, Nevada; we recently took a trip there, and with a combined total of over 20 hours' worth of exploring the underground mine workings, I've NEVER found the end of the primary tunnel! Rails are still in place inside, and in many sections 30- and 36-inch tie/sleeper centers were common. Most of the rails' crowns were worn down to the webbing, and this was on fairly robust (at one time) 20-pound & 25-pound rail. Heavy stuff! Electrical insulators and other detritus made it obvious that electric locos were fairly extant in use at one time or another (probably the late 20's/30's revival).

Good luck, and don't get discouraged! I can't wait to see some of your creations!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.