G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently joined Facebook (my students encouraged me to join for communication purposes). I was wondering if there are any MLS members who are members of a Facebook G-Scale or Garden Railroad Group? I would welcome any suggestions or group names.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I just created a group for myLargescale.com.. If you do a search for myLargescale, you should find it.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
8 members and counting... :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
So that G-scalers can date other G-scalers of course, why else? lmao

-Will

·
Premium Member
6,438 Posts
Could somebody explain, uh... WHY?

I guess you have to be young - younger that I am anyway.

I don't really want to know who everyone is friends with, which quiz they got 65% on yesterday, or what they think is cool. [Except you, Jerry, of course.]

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
OK....so what is the mylargescale.com Facebook account for? Is there something you can do on Facebook that you can't do here on MLS? I'd hate to see folks starting to post their stuff there and not here. Finding stuff is already hard enough...we don't need to make it harder.

Like I asked....what is the mylargescale Facebook account for?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Think of "Facebook" as more of a media to expose our hobby and interest to others and MLS as a means to communicate and dialect with diehard enthusiasts.

Every time you post a photo or something on your “Facebook” page… it sends out a little note to all your Facebook “friends”, letting them know you up-dated your page.
So while my wife and kids will probably never go to MLS and see all the cool stuff there… The photos I just posted on Facebook group can be seen by all in the group, but Facebook also sent a message to all my "friends", that I posted photos.
So some (maybe most) of my friends will go look and be lead to our group on facebook and ultimately to MLS.com

As for the “predators for personal information” issue - Just like anything on the web, it is as safe as you make it.
Don’t put anything on your page you don’t want others to know and monitor it’s use. On Facebook you are allowed to choose who your friends are. It is as simple as if you do not okay (accept them as a friend) they can see no more then a name and whatever you are using for a profile picture. My kids have been on it for years and my wife and I for over a year. We have never had a single issue (other then embarrassing our kids :eek:).

If we are interested in exposing the hobby to younger people, this is a great way.
But that is just MHO…

Todd

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
UPDATED NOTE:
I no sooner posted my comment here on MLS and I had three e-mails from Facebook.
All 3 were "friends" on facbook who had never seen pics of my trains on MLS and all 3 commented on how "cool" the train pics were.
Like I said - It is exposure.... and that should be a good thing

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Think of Facebook as a social networking site that allows people to share information. I wouldn't consider a Facebook group better then these discussion boards, but it's kind of nice to 'see' people on other social networking sites. I might even argue that mylargescale.com is a social networking site much like Facebook. I joined the group! Thanks Shad!
Craig

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Engineercub on 01/27/2009 10:38 PM
So that G-scalers can date other G-scalers of course, why else? lmao

-Will

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title.......

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Facebook is all about feeling rather insignificant and unloved. Me and my two 'friends' get connected to someone who has 285 'friends' and 60 photos and 5 videos. Yeah right! I don't even KNOW that many people.
So I post a note that I'm updating my web pages and that informs my daughter-in-law and my hairdresser.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Posted By bnsfconductor on 01/28/2009 4:55 PM
I might even argue that mylargescale.com is a social networking site much like Facebook.

Funny you should say that.. More and more, I keep referring to MLS as a social network. That's really what it is.. The core of this site it the membership and the social aspect.. **** even most of our articles that we've done in the past had some sort of 'social' element to them.. So that is the direction I'm heading. I'm working to build on top of that great foundation.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Insignificant and unloved? lamo?... Wow. Seriously?

Lets see:
After a long day doing whatever:
You - Sit down at your computer and log on to MLS for an hour or so.
Here you can be "surrounded by people" that have similar interests. You read an article or two, see if there are any new posts that peak your interest and maybe go into the chat room for a quick chat about trains.

Others - Sit down and log onto Facebook for an hour (usually much more)… and see what is happening in the world.
My Daughter for instance in that same hour you were on - learned what 60 of her closer "friends" are doing, chatted with 4 or 5 (at one time) of the ones that are at different colleges and she can not see regularly, let all 200+ of her friends know what happened during her day by posting her status. Commented on a few photos, found out that one of the kids she went to high school with but no longer sees accepted Jesus as his savior, found out another lost a bet and has to wax his chest and another transferred to a different university. She also managed a conversation with her Uncle in Montana whom she only gets to see about once a year and a friend in Iraq whom she very rarely gets to hear from.

Of those two which one sounds unloved, or lamo?

We all may not know 200+ people... but some people obviously do.
Are they best friends? Probably not, However they usually know "of" the person, or they wouldn’t/shouldn’t accept them as friends.
Both my kids had some 600 kids in their high school graduating class and are now in college. Between the "friends" the made in high school and the friends they have made at college they probably keep up with at least 200 other kids. It is a WHOLE lot easier to peruse through 200 headlines and decide what you want to look into further, then it is to pick up the phone and call 15 of your closest friends every night.

If one of my 54 "friends" on facebook posted 60 photos and 5 videos of trains... you bet I would check them out.
Not only that but I will get note on my Facebook page that says “Joe Train â€" posted picturesâ€�. So Facebook would let me know there where new photos to view.
No offense to MLS ( I love this site) but if a buddy posts something on MLS you won’t know until he tells you.
I don’t know about you, but that is one of the reason I am on MLS to “see� what other people are doing.
Now factor in that on facebook if we accept each other as friends… I may actually learn a bit more about them as a person and not just a train enthusiast simply by reading their status and page up dates.
Are we then buddies, pals, amigos…? No but we are “friends�. Name one person on here on MLS that has experienced health issues, or job loss or whatever that was not expressed sincere and heartfelt encouragement. Did they know EVERYONE that offered them kind words? No they were just being “friendly�.

To some, Facebook is obviously lamo.
To others MLS is lamo.
And to still others grown ups "playing with trains" is totally lamo.... (we happen to know that is not true :eek:)

Bottom line is three of my facebook "friends" joined the “My Largescale� facebook group.... 1 of them took it a step further and said he joined this site.
That is 3 more people who may take up the hobby and as Martha Stewart says “that is a good thing�.

So is facebook for everyone, certainly not. But to say it is lamo or those who use it are unloved and insignificant seem a bit short sighted and narrow minded?
But again… that is just MHO…

Gotta run someone just posted to my Facebook page! Haha.

Todd

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
I have to thank Shad for THIS site. It is a railroading "social" club and I have met quite a few people here in the SoCal area and we have become good and close friends. But we interact face to face, not through a computer screen. Everyone one to their own thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts