G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Posted By Spule 4 on 02/26/2009 10:50 PM
....and it is unfortunate that many of the better modelling project and prototype magazines have died in the last few years.

What is really becoming unfortunate that when you pick up a 20+ year old railroad magazing, it is oftentimes more interesting than its modern counterpart.

Yo, Dude,

Did you speak for me, or what?

I have a whole buncha 70's NMRA bulletins, and for line dwgs and general tech info/issue, there ain't a pub today I know of that can catch 'em.

I have a great many pre-2000 NGSLG's. Fabulous, even if they are oriented heavily to HO--not so in later issues. Facts are facts, ideas are ideas, transferable to any scale.

My private suspicion is that most RR mags today are poll-driven and insider-dominated. The editors suffer from the same management school as Vanity Fair. They cannot possibly listen to their reader's requests for certain subjects. Else, why would so many go down the tubes? Oh, they can't afford to print in today's market? Sucks to be them, but why, when other mags tend to dominate? Oh, bought out by big corporations? Inflexible, therefore?

Let us bring back the 'subscription pulp letter'. Almost like Timber Times. But not so upscale. How many modellers really need slicks? [ Edited after post: this is old-fashioned thinking. See below]

And I don't wanna hear about 'send in what you want if you don't see it.' That is pure unadulterated BS. First, you have to get past the 'assigned stable of writers'. With 'assigned topics'. These are people who can do it. Dependably, hopefully. If not, an opening flashes by.

Then, you have to get past the lookup clerk, "We've got 3 hundred articles like that in stock. See? Every one has 'train, wheel, or engine' in the title." Fine, publish a few and you'll have room for more, and hey, they might be different!

Then you have to get past the editor, assuming you get past the screener. If he doesn't like it, you're screwed. And he has no particular urge to 'like' your submission over hundreds of others--many by pro tech writers trying to fill out a paycheck by submitting to a slew of mags publishing on the same subject. I used to send out, like that, as a tech writer. Sometimes you get lucky.

Boards like this are the future of REAL hardrock, nitty-gritty, down 'n dirty, smoke-fumes-in-your-nose model RRing articles. Except they'll be cased in answers to specific questions, rather than pre-structured formats, ala 'articles'.

Just like the old 'circular letters' modellers used to send each other.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Randy,

Your beef (if that's not too strong a word) with GR is valid in my estimation, and here's why: the editor didn't tell you why this issue happened to be slanted not to suit you. He told you essentially what the cop at your elbow tells you: "It's this way because that's the way it is." Now, that's pretty hard to argue about.

I don't have a subscription to GR--anymore. Want the last two year's worth for the postage? That's essentially what they're worth to me. You go calculate the subscription cost on your own time.

I don't write editors anymore. I just quit buying their mags. It's simpler. You, I and the dog next door all together ain't going to change their opinion. Only falling subscription rates do that. It gets the corporation's attention, they get fired and another similarly-educated editor takes over. The same guy who could edit Car & Driver. ****, it's all the same, right? A magazine formatted to X, Y, & Z and aimed at incomes $$$, $$$$, $$$$$--for charging advertising rates.

You want ... uh, E, F, or G articles? Hidden attitude: (Sucks to be you, dude. We have a business to run here, if you don't mind.)

Editors have an unanswerable reply: "We can't please everyone, every time." And they're right. But they forget that they'd dam' well better please most readers most of the time. Or they go bye-bye.

So, enjoy your GR. I sucked it up until I realized it was more fuller of high-end crap that I can't afford. And exotic bushes that I can't even pronounce the name of. Shrug. So I quit 'em. I saw a thread on this site where a guy ran his track through his hedges. Looked great, after the hedges grew up a tad. Realistic as ****.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Allen,

It is regrettable you feel that I am posting misconceptions.

This debate developed over a reader's dissatisfaction with a magazine's content.

Your reply included the admission that you do depend upon reader submissions for said content.

In another post, someone weighed in with ''... if you don't like the content, submit your own articles ..." to which I believe you have shown you are in agreement, if not in tone, in fact.

Isn't that rather like demanding the consumer provide the content, or be silent?

Les

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 02/28/2009 9:30 AM

I dunno what the future holds, even here on MLS theres been a significant drop in interest in Kitbash ond Scratchbuildt model building over the last 5 years, the Masterclass used to have many participants, now we have to ask if theres any interest and are only getting a few nibbles.

[Edited]

Vic,

I want to specifically address why I don't participate in the Masterclass articles. There are several reasons: first, on cursory glance, it appears that, to join a given one, you must have the engine/rolling stock item to be bashed. That can be costly, depending upon the item chosen. I don't have the money (or the desire to spend the money if I did) on bashing an expensive engine.

That's why I like the things you and others post, replete with step-by-step pictures. As an aside, when a particular project posting catches my attention I make it a point to post, thanking the author for taking the trouble to do so. I feel that's the least I can do.

Besides initial, undefined costs after enrolling, there appears to be the need to spend more money on castings, parts, and whatnot. I don't know that this is a fact, I'm making an assumption.

Then there is another uncertainty: the time factor: how quickly/slowly will this class unroll? Too fast, I can't keep up. Too slow, I lose interest. Thus, for me, it's too risky to become involved, particulary when there's such a wide range of 'low cost/simple' things posted nearly every week.

So you see, for those who've never done a Masterclass, perhaps more information might be made available, as perhaps in a 'sticky' that says, "Go here for details."

The best illustration--two, actually--I can think of to mention are NavyTech's bash of a B'mann, and Larry I.'s (I cannot remember how to spell that gentleman's last name) two-stall engine shed. Those were a couple of memorable--at least to me--series. Could those events, and others like them, be connected with lack of enrollment?

What I think would be kinda nice is, if Stan 'n The Boys ran a sort-of contest once a month, once every couple of months--whatever--asking: "Name the 'bash/construction article you liked best this month." Then that person might receive recognition, and say, a princely prize of $5 bucks. Or just an 'attaboy' sticker to add to his avatar. I don't know, just speculation on my part.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Randy,

I don't see where you need to apologize for stating an opinion. Yours is as good as anyone's, isn't it? Or is it? Are some opinions acceptable, while others are not? We are in the process of finding out.

Allan Miller--the O gauge publisher--showed in his post that editors, as a class, are not concerned with the opinions of those who complain about their magazines--and he certainly wasn't posting misconceptions, in my NSHO.

He made my point far better than I did, and I congratulate him for truthful accuracy.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Allan,

The tenor of this thread is going in a direction I wish it would not. I am dropping it at this point.

I understand that your O gauge magazine does O scale articles? That's interesting, as it has been noted that good ideas transfer across scales. I was under the impression that it was primarily Hi-rail or tinplate (valid enough in their own right).

Would you please contact me off-board with info so that I may buy a sample copy?

Les

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.