G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Funny how two people can read the same thing and come away with a different idea of what was said... I did not get the impression that the editor was turning a cold shoulder to standard guage mainline stuff, at all. I saw it simply as an explanation of why they receive and/or print more articles from/about people who model narrow gauge.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If anything, I think there might be a little bias against complex modeling articles, in favor of simpler "beginner" and "intermediate" level stuff. It seems like when they do run loco bashes, it's mainly some pics of the finished product, maybe a before and after shot, and a little text. There's not much detail about getting from "before" to "after".

Of course, that's just my impression.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It can take a while to get it into publication once it's been accepted. My article in this latest issue was submitted last summer. These delays are at least partly due to the lead time typical in publishing. Other things can affect the timing, such as finding the right space, how the article balances against other articles, etc.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Posted By East Broad Top on 02/26/2009 10:35 PM
Part of the problem with detailed construction articles lies in the "detailed" part of the equation. Details take space, which means particularly long ariticles. When I do construction projects for my column, then invariably take at least two installments, some take up 4. Magazines just don't have the luxury of dedicating that kind of space to anything other than the feature article, if that even rates that kind of space. Wish that was the case, but that's part of the reason I document many of my projects here. There's no space limit, and it's interactive. Not near as many eyeballs, though.

Good point, Kevin. 

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Vic, I agree with you about the frequent "sameness" of the layouts, and that this could be remedied if more people would do scratch-building and kitbashing.

The size of the layouts doesn't bother me much... though I do shake my head sometimes when they show layouts larger than mine and call them "small" or "a tight space". One small complaint I have with a lot of big layouts is that they're _just_ big. You don't often see big layouts that look as good (read: detailed) as the smaller ones.

The gardening articles generally are a waste of space to me, but I know I'm in the minority there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.