G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
7,217 Posts
I'm trying to track down photos of the rare 0-6-4 Forney type.
Photos or plans? We're confused, as David says.

Torch Lake was/is a Mason Bogie. There's a comment here: Re: NNG: Greenfield Village Mason-Bogie
"On page 76 of the Mason Locomotive Works book by Arthur W Wallace are drawings of the original version of this locomotive."
The crain website on the South Park line has lots of drawings of similar Mason Bogies by David Fletcher.
Crain's DSP&P Railroad Pages | David Fletcher's Mason Bogie Plans
I'll ask him if he ever drew Torch Lake.

· Premium Member
7,217 Posts
Does any one know if i have to get a hobby boilers license?
You can check with your local boiler inspector, but here in Maryland they do not require a license for small boilers. We've had conversations with them when running live steamers at public events. I do not know what the minimum size would be before you need a current boiler certificate. I don't think you need a license.

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Here in UK we don't need a license to build a boiler, but if it has a capacity of more than 3 BAR/Litre then it must be tested by an independent boiler examiner. We have four such people in our little club, but we also test full-size traction engines as well.

As a basic rule of thumb, it's hard to imagine any so-called 'G scale model' of a sawmill-sized boiler having a capacity that big. A litre is not far off a US pint, it seems. By comparison, my largest steamer, Accucraft's magnificent NG/G16 Beryer-Garratt, has only around 800cc or so capacity.

Perhaps if you were to post us details of your planned boiler if would allow us to give you better advice, remembering that number of US-based posters on this very site also build their own boilers - let's hope they see this post.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Photos or plans? We're confused, as David says.

Torch Lake was/is a Mason Bogie. There's a comment here: Re: NNG: Greenfield Village Mason-Bogie
"On page 76 of the Mason Locomotive Works book by Arthur W Wallace are drawings of the original version of this locomotive."
The crain website on the South Park line has lots of drawings of similar Mason Bogies by David Fletcher.
Crain's DSP&P Railroad Pages | David Fletcher's Mason Bogie Plans
I'll ask him if he ever drew Torch Lake.
So, there were two Torch Lakes. One is the locomotive named Torch Lake, while the other was an 0-6-4 Forney type that may have originated at Godchaux Sugar, before being sent to the Torch Lake Railroad, which I believe has no connection with the Mason Bogie, as that one was standard gauge, while the one I'm looking for was 3 foot narrow gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts