G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's
Back on 2/13 Fletch posted on Andy's bogie 2 log that if there was interest in building models, he would be willing to run another class. I posted this to see if there is enough interest to run another Master Class. If your interested in building please post, as to a model one would need to be selected for the class.
So gentleman what do you think?? Anyone interested??

Chuck

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I would really like to see another Master Class, MLS hasn't been the same without Fletch.

I would like to see something in a 2-8-0, perhaps a C-16.

Ron Knepp

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Well, what happened last time is that we got bogged down in what we would like to see, and of course hardly anybody wanted to the same thing, and that was the end of it. Most people wanted something that was already available, or very close to something already available. But frankly, it's hard to see the attraction to build something that already exists.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
The selection process has always been part of the problem, we could never as a group find something that everyone wanted to do and feel into favoring our various niches. It remained best that whatever Fletch decided to model was what was chosen since he had to do all the planning, preparation and test models for it

Besides was the last Masterclass for the 0-6-0 Porter ever finished? I'm only aware of the first chapters being posted.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
I'm interested in doing a class, but only if people want to build models. I never did Chapter 2 of the Porter class due to a total lack of interest attracted in Chapter 1. I have most of the PDFs for chapter 2, but probably wont bother writing it when so few did CH1. Not a critism, just I feel, as evident in the model making forum, we're just not seen the quantity of model making we once saw on this site. Times have changed I guess, new folks get other things out of MLS these days and so on.

For personal preferences, I can and would love to do a class on:

DSP&P Brooks 2-6-0, incl as-built DSP&P and CCRR versions, UP version, WP&Y and C&S. I have done a lot on these engines, and plan to provide most of it to Accucraft, however given ecconmic times, we wont see these in development for years yet, if ever.

D&RG, EBT, RGS class 48 0-6-0ST loco (Baldwin 6-22-D, drawing 1)- again, done loads of rearch on these and given drawings to Accucraft, but it may be a long time before anything concrete comes of it. Doing this as a class with Hartland drive and laser cut styrene, double plated frames would be easy. The asbuilt versions were colourful, while later versions are black and simply lettered...useful to 1900 or so and logging.

D&RG/EBT 8-16-D 2-6-0s, Shou-wa-no etc - the early NG Baldwin moguls (and possibly the 2-4-0 Montezuma etc). I have the errection drawings for this type of engine from Baldwin, not quite Shou-wa-no as that was like a prep production prototype, but small mods were done to what became a standard design. The original drawing also shows 3 dome and 2 dome versions.

They're my preference anyway.

As for the C-16, I still have a desire for that, but for the same reason as I chose NOT to do the Jackson & Sharp coach for my coach class, and chose Carters instead, I would stear clear of the C-16....unless we did some early versions. If ecconomics weren't what they are today, I'd place bets on a plastic 1:20.3 version post 1900 inside of 2 years. Exact same thing happenned with the J&S coach, so I was darn glad I didn't do that coach in my class - it was otherwise the obvious choice.

Fletch.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
"I'm interested in doing a class, but only if people want to build models. I never did Chapter 2 of the Porter class due to a total lack of interest attracted in Chapter 1. I have most of the PDFs for chapter 2, but probably wont bother writing it when so few did CH1."

The reason I never started the Porter Chapter 1 was I wanted to build it as the "Blue Mountain" version, which would have be in Chapter 2 if I understood the process correctly or am I confused?
John

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Fletch,

Having enjoyed pics of your model building and the masterclass articles you've done I look forward to another masterclass build. If I could make a personal request though it would be for a master class on unavailable fittings if you can't decide on a loco to build.

Just as I belive the manufacturers would help the hobby more with a few generic locos and cars, with an assortment of detail parts to help create the stable the individual wants, without having to remove this and replace that. Maybe you could see your way clear to show some of us lessor modelers how to create the details we need to create the stable we want.

Or a class on how to make a loco frame and drive train or properly alter an existing one to get the locos we want.

I agree we don't see the quality of modeling that used to exist here and the mags. people want ready to go right out of the box and just what they want. Maybe because they haven't learned how to make what they want. I can't always afford to do the full build but if I could make more of whats needed I might be able to actively join in instead of sitting back and saying that's great wish I had one.

Dave

PS I would certainly appreciate the rest of the info on the porter also.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
I still prefer whole locos for class as a means to explain techniques in context and have a firm outcome - a working model. Classes on details out of context sure would be useful to folks, but lacks the comraderie and helpful model building discussion that goes on in classes like these...plus the inspiration to build is the finished model in the mind's eye. Most appreciate the comments and ideas.

Note also, incase there is misunderstanding, I noted we dont see the 'Quantity' of model building we once saw, I didn't comment on the quality - its not that the models we're seeing are no good, just that not too many people are building anymore!

Most of the techniques for chassis building and details are covered in several classes from me, Peter Bunce, Allan Cash and Doug Bronson on the MLS articles section..these are as good today for concepts and methods as the date we wrote them.

I will see about assembling the PDFs for the small Porter into a workable set of drawings. They're spread out in a CAD file, which was originally used for the Brown Porter I built over 5 years ago.

many thanks,
Fletch.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
There are lots of great tips buried in the various articles that are already posted. I ended up pulling Fletch's articles apart into their component pieces (using Adobe Acrobat; I don't think the Reader can do it), and labeling each one for its remaining contents. It's a LOT of work, but much easier to refer to on the fly, as it were. Most of my resulting articles are 2-4 pages long, and only discuss one step, or even part of a step.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I would also like to see a "DSP&P Brooks 2-6-0, incl as-built DSP&P and CCRR versions, UP version, WP&Y and C&S." I just found a Bachman Indy through Stan Cedarleaf but if there is not going to be a 2nd chapter I will leave it as is for now. I do have an enlarged drawing reproduced from Model Railroader magazine of the a Brooks 2-6-0 to 1:22.5. Whether one is in built for a MLS class or not, I will build the Brooks WP&Y version or C&S.

Fletch, my Mason Bogie has been shelved until I finish the making the bed in our master bedroom.

George from northern Indiana

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
To clarify the Porter Class,
Chapter 1 which is available at MLS has the complete construction of one class of Porter 2-6-0 and 0-6-0.

Chapter 2 is for an entirely different, less popular Porter 0-6-0. You dont need chapter 2 to build the Porter.
After a poll was taken as to which engine to build in Chapter 1, I went with the more popular of the two. Almost none were built from the class, so chapter 2 for the 2nd loco wasn't really that important.

Please review chapter 1 and decide if that loco interests you.

Thanks chaps,
David.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd be interested in the D&RG, EBT, RGS class 48 0-6-0ST loco (Baldwin 6-22-D, drawing 1)- long admired Fletch's 1/24 version on the cut'n'shut delton mech. BUT, it'd need to be 1/20.3 for me to want to build one, otherwise everything else would tower over it.

Alternatives..

A standard baldwin catalogue sidetank - 0-6-0T or 0-6-2T? A while back someone (sorry, forget who), built a nice 0-6-0T using a Bachmann Indy.

Or a double ender, perhaps export catalogue like the (UK) L&B 'Lyn', or the Victorian Rlys NA, now that the Bachmann 2-4-2T is discontinued?

Or Uintah #20 & #21? They never worked anywhere else,and I don't think there were duplicated, but they're cute enough. Just did the sums though, and they need 42.5mm/1.673" wheels - dunno what fits mech-wise, unless you butcher an LGB mogul block to change the wheelbase? (And even the wheels on that are but big, might be easier to live with the Hartland 1.75" ones)

This has come out as a list of tanks, but I'm not anti bigger engines (though I guess there's not chance of a South African Rlys GMAM 4-8-2+2-8-4, which is what I really want) - with the 0-6-0/2-6-0 and K27 done in both 1/20.3 (Bachmann), and 1/22.5 (Hemmeter/Fletch), there isn't much that's too obvious - The K36/K37, but those are big engines with no obvious donors (at least not to me), or maybe an EBT mike - don't know how close the Aristo mike block would be for that?

A while back I did the maths on the Uintah's pair of 2-8-2's #30 (older, outside frame) and #40 (inside frame) and worked out you could get close to the both in 1:20.3 using connie and the aristo mike as donors respectively - both catalogue designs, and #30 was secondhand but I don't know if there were any close duplicates.

Actually, I've just had a thought while typing this (and I'm now on target to mention every Uintah rod drive engine except the various 2-8-0's that are probably C-16 related anyway).. How about the Uintah mallets, #50/#51? I know LGB did/do them in various forms, but those models aren't exactly to scale, and 1:20.3 it'd be some machine (and home built styrene would be a lot cheaper than buying brass). Drivers are close enough to HLW's 2inch not to worry, the middle one doesn't need to be flangeless, and there's enough room between the front and rear mechs to allow both to articulate meyer-fashion - I know the real things got round the equivalent of something like 11ft diameter in F-scale, but the overhangs were horrendous, and most garden lines probably don't have 6-8inches clear of the outside of the track.

That's it I think - a Uintah mallet please Fletch, and maybe one of the 0-6-2T's to keep it company if you can find the wheels, 'Dignity and Impudence'-like.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
OK here is an opinion from a new guy who is interested in modeling. I personally got alot out of the master class while kit bashing a couple of engines. I would love to see more. The only real beef I ever had was some of the builds seem to have used a laser cutter to make the parts with is not cost effective for some of use poor buggers. I would love to see a build from someone who hand made all the parts from scrap pieces of various material rather than all plastic. I am considering scratch building with all wood and no plastic.

I am not downing the builds on master class at all they are wonderful and educational. I just have a different point of view. I have made an engine for less than $100 bucks but was a rebuild not from scratch and will attempt to make another for less than $50 some day.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Some interesting points coming out here!

We are seeing the normal bids for our personal favorites but interestingly there seems to be a feel that the Baldwin 0-6-0 ST could be popular.

I think there is no way that a large loco would be succesful as a class due to the ammount of build time required and the ability of 'new' modellers to stick at it to the end. We found in previous classes that chassis are the main stumbling point for a lot of people as they cannot believe they could build one themself. Fletch has proven the plasticard with Hartland system works and this could be the way forward for a small loco - easy for beginners to follow and achieve a result.

I see the comments about laser cutting but you can still cut by hand if you are prepared to put the effort and time in, laser cutting is only a shortcut and also suits those who are looking for a kit as opposed to a scratchbuild.

All the previous Masterclass articles have covered how to make boiler fittings, pipework, domes, stacks etc. so a pleasant evening or two browsing those will provide all the info needed.

I find the interactivity with a group build is a real boost to maintaining enthusiasm during a build and the more experienced in the group can help and lead the newer builders through the points where they would have got stuck on their own.
If we do have a new class lets keep it simple with a small loco that can be achived by everyone - I'm ready to go!

Allan.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

Minds think alike – most uncanny! I will be building a saddle tank, with a chassis from the LGB American styled 2 4 0 tender loco, the 'loco only' was available here in the UK for a reasonable price – so one is in stock!

There have been some drawings in the magazine ‘Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette’ of such locos, there are said to be errors in them but my loco will be a freelance version of either a 2 4 2ST, or with a larger bunker, a 2 4 4ST; photos can be seen in the book ‘Locos that Baldwin built’, or for some earlier versions in the PDF’s of the Baldwin Loco Works catalogs – these were found by Steve C, and have been saved needless to say! Be careful with some of the proportions the narrow gauge versions look quite different! Saddle tank or side tank versions are very similar.

For example one of the enlarged NGSL drawings of a 2 4 2 ST is about 16” long with ‘cowcatchers ‘ at each end. This has a late cab (like the L&B ‘Lyn’ for which David has done a very nice color drawing that has appeared in the Australian magazine ‘Narrow Gauge Downunder’ – issue 29 - April 2008). That article has both the 2 4 2 and 2 6 2 side tank versions shown in Baldwin Export colors.

Of course Australia has the Baldwin’s on their Puffing Billy Railway.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
David, et al;

It does my heart good to see communications on this Forum. Too many months went by with no news. My next project will be to build the Porter Bell loco from the parts I have gathered. I will see what is decided and follow with interest. Go to it lads, good to have ya'll back.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Didnt Bachmann just release a Unitah Mallet in 20.3??

Im still working on my Porters , hope to complete them soon now that I have my profile cutters for the domes done by EDM by a friend. Of course beibng they are steam powered they have been taking much longer then I anticipated. I also had a bunch of layoffs over the last year and I have been a whole lot busier then in the past years.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
"Didnt Bachmann just release a Unitah Mallet in 20.3??"

Yes, and no. Yes, a 1:20.3 logging Mallet, but it's not a Uintah. It's a model of a loco that was proposed, but never built.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
What a though to build something that was never produced. I still hope to see a Unitah Mallet from Accucraft in steam. Or I guess I can try building one myself.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts