G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you, just reached out to see how to purchase one in the US. Appreciate you documenting this!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I would like to know how some have succeeded building microscopic turbogenerators for their steamlocos.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pauli,
If you look at Werner's picture above there is no size reference
But it's not a huge turbine.
For a turbo generator you need not only the turbine but also the coils. Quite a challenge to engineer that and make it look scale.
A scale turbo generator would not really be practical as far as output because it would be smaller than Werner's picture.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did get info of Tim Miller's turbine being sold for Gauge 1 a while back that I was interested in getting one of these days to try and connect for powering a few LED lights to which it advertises that it can power 5 or so of them.

Here is that example for reference:

I do like the prospect of building one at home though! Thanks for sharing the info on your book Werner.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I did get info of Tim Miller's turbine being sold for Gauge 1 a while back that I was interested in getting one of these days to try and connect for powering a few LED lights to which it advertises that it can power 5 or so of them.

Here is that example for reference:
View attachment 62087 View attachment 62088

I do like the prospect of building one at home though! Thanks for sharing the info on your book Werner.

-Mike
Thank you! I know Aster showed one years ago. And at least one German man has built one, although for 1:22,5, rather than my 1:32 stuff. He never disclosed the design though. I've speculated, that perhaps using a readymade cogwheel might work. I would be satisfyed to run the headlights (LED), as a very prototypical thing is, that as the locomotive just starts rolling out from a trainstation or similar, the "Lichtmaschine" = "lightmachine" = electric generator situated just behind the chimney on German locomotives, revs up, and the headlights turn from dim to brighter.

Also, the exhaust is lead through a pipe on top of the boiler, and up the chimney side, with the exhaust joining the boiler steam and smoke exhaust.

Wonder how Tim Miller made his turbine wheel.

Do you know if he still sells them?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank you! I know Aster showed one years ago. And at least one German man has built one, although for 1:22,5, rather than my 1:32 stuff. He never disclosed the design though. I've speculated, that perhaps using a readymade cogwheel might work. I would be satisfyed to run the headlights (LED), as a very prototypical thing is, that as the locomotive just starts rolling out from a trainstation or similar, the "Lichtmaschine" = "lightmachine" = electric generator situated just behind the chimney on German locomotives, revs up, and the headlights turn from dim to brighter.

Also, the exhaust is lead through a pipe on top of the boiler, and up the chimney side, with the exhaust joining the boiler steam and smoke exhaust.

Wonder how Tim Miller made his turbine wheel.

Do you know if he still sells them?
Pauli,

I am unsure if he has any currently for sale, but it seems as if the design was made in 3D and printed in wax and cast in metal by a place like Shapeways. Perhaps the turbine is a printed high temp plastic from them as well? I will send you a message with the small PDF brochure I was given that contains his contact details so that you may reach out to Tim.

Best,
Mike

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Than you Mike!

Through the day, I've been thinking how to machine a cast turbine wheel to final fit. Not obvious, but there are more knowligable people to ask about that. Also, how one seals the turbine axle and steam from the generator? And lubrication. I think a combination of low friction plastic, an O-ring, and utilizing the steam / water as lubricant. Like in steam powered feedwater pumps. (DC motor, perhaps from an RC servo as generator. They are cheap.)

Sadly, I think steam consumption might be troublesomly large.. And also , the regulator valve, would be almost as expensive as the generator it self. :-( Much like with whistles. (And they are annoingly big in the cab! Grr!:mad: The place is crammed up as it is. I need somwhere to put my fingers or servos, and also have some maintenance room.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A labyrinth seal would keep the steam where you want it. At the speeds this thing would turn, o rings or anything that increases friction is not your friend. Would not last very long either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts