G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried calling Phoenix today and got a message that the number was disconnected. I tried the toll and the toll free number. I hope things are OK, they have a card there I am having repaired.

·
Super Modulator
22,146 Posts
Yep, response has been getting slower and slower, yesterday it said disconnected, today it has their message back on.

I would think maybe they changed their phone service.

They are only "open" tuesday through thursday, 10 am to 4pm, Friday 10-2pm

Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I bought an SM-18 decoder for my C-19 and it never really worked right. It has since stopped making sound. I have tried to contact Phoenix several times with no response. I'll probably write them off and buy a new decoder from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had some communication with Al Kramar last weekend. He has recently spoke with Jim, from Phoenix, and says Phoenix is still in business but are way behind. This is good news for those who are waiting with orders or problems and good for the hobby as well, I'm thinking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm trying to get Phoenix's remote uncoupler. I was able to leave a message with Phoenix about 10 days ago. Does anyone have any experience with Phoenix's remote knuckler uncoupler? If positive, does anyone know any dealers that have it in stock or that I should check?

Best hopes,

Hilary Smith
Pacific NW

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have Phoenix PCD’s installed in 8 boxcars and 4 engines. They are very reliable and scarce. Only problem I have
encountered is in programming some CV’s, using a T5000. I get around this by programming with my DCC
system.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Since I an DCC I figured out that I can just use a standard Kadee coupler and control a servo with my decoders which have servo connections. I use a jeweley chain to connect the servo to the Kadee coupler. Total cost to add front and rear uncoupling to an engine is under $20.00.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
On another note, Trainli sells a kit for the LGB style hook and loop couplers to uncouple via servo and will do dual hooks. Alignment of the kit is difficult for dual hook uncoupling but easier for single hooks uncoupling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since I an DCC I figured out that I can just use a standard Kadee coupler and control a servo with my decoders which have servo connections. I use a jeweley chain to connect the servo to the Kadee coupler. Total cost to add front and rear uncoupling to an engine is under $20.00.
Dan,

Would you be willing to elaborate a little more on your coupler system? It would be great to have an idea of the brand and model number of the servos you used, pictures and a little explanation. I'm sure many more besides myself would benefit.

Best hopes,

Hilary

P.S. And my thanks to all those who responded to my question. Very grateful for the thoughtfulness.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Stock No: 31002 MD This is the MPJA.COM part number for the servo I use. On sale now for $2.95 each. To do front and rear on one engine with one pack of Kadee couplers you can see the cost is very low, esp if you order more than 2. I usually order at least 10 so I can do 4 engines and have 2 spares. I do trim the mounting pads and use Quik Grip glue to keep the servos in place. Also, you can order light control DCC boards that can control servos like in a caboose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very grateful, Dan, for your further explanation. Not being an electronics or DCC whiz, I'm a little hazy on controlling the servos. The decoders I'm working with are the Tsunami TSU-4400 steam and the CVP G4X -- neither of which seem to mention servo controller outputs. I know there separate DCC servo controllers -- so do I need a separate DCC decoder for just the servos?

Best hopes,

Hilary

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Very grateful, Dan, for your further explanation. Not being an electronics or DCC whiz, I'm a little hazy on controlling the servos. The decoders I'm working with are the Tsunami TSU-4400 steam and the CVP G4X -- neither of which seem to mention servo controller outputs. I know there separate DCC servo controllers -- so do I need a separate DCC decoder for just the servos?

Best hopes,

Hilary
The G4X manual states it can drive 2 Kadee units which are just servos.
I did not see in the soundtraxx manual servo drivers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am sorry to be such a pest on this, Dan, but what DCC system do you use and what decoder do you use that has servo outputs?

I talked with CVP and they said their decoders just turn things on and off.

Kadee RC couplers requires their own controller.

Reading up on servos they have three wires: power, ground, plus a third wire to carry the command pulses [pulse width modulation].

Hilary

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
I use Zimo decoders and even the MX645 HO decoder has 30 volt rating and has motor, sound, and 2 servo connectoins. Their largescale MX decoders have 4 servo connections and the newer MS decoders have 6 or more.
Go to zimo.at and read the info on all the decoder specs, Zimo gives lots of spec details!!
My old system is the MX1 and I also have the newer MX10, both have wireless handhelds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Zimo decoders and even the MX645 HO decoder has 30 volt rating and has motor, sound, and 2 servo connectoins. Their largescale MX decoders have 4 servo connections and the newer MS decoders have 6 or more.
Go to zimo.at and read the info on all the decoder specs, Zimo gives lots of spec details!!
My old system is the MX1 and I also have the newer MX10, both have wireless handhelds.
Thanks, Dan. That fills in the blanks.

Hilary

1 - 20 of 26 Posts