G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any members of Los Angeles Live Steamers here, is it worth it?

Spent part of last Sunday at Griffith Park at the LA Live Steamers park, we were to meet a friends family there (they never showed) but as we waited I observed a smaller sized garden railroad setup, about 20’ x 15’ square, next to the public entry, it looked in rough shape, joints were bent, track uneven, and in obvious disrepair, but it was a lot of track for the small area it occupies, I asked the docent about it and they said they had a total of one person working on the layout, and later there was one guy setting up and testing track, as it was a track powered layout with a terrifyingly wired control panel ( I saw it opened up).

Now I have been trying and failing to acquire the necessary real estate to build an outdoor layout large enough for me to run my larger sized stuff like my F-40 & Superliner cars and I have considered in past joining a club like the Fairplex or Del Oro to run them, but the caviet has always been the time commitment, and with Del Oro and the Fairplex the long drive time and the time commitments have always been a major reason why I’ve never sent in the applications.

The chief advantage LA Live Steamers ha,s is the distance, its relatively close by to Pasadena, and as such an easy drive to reach, and I’m sure they could use the help on the garden layout but before I get too far ahead of myself what I need to know is the following:

The membership is $100, bit steep, so what do I really get for the fee?

The Docent stated that there is a 6 month probationary period where I’d have to show up Saturdays and work, now is that every Saturday for six months?....or one Saturday each month?

Would I also be expected to volunteer on Sunday's as well?

Does the club offer support for those who might want to learn more about building there own live steamer? Do they have machining facilities to help build such, or is that something the individual members are expected to furnish and build on there own?

I am very curious, but I don’t want to get into something I’ll later find out I can’t make the commitment to. I want to know what is expected of me before I commit to something like this. I wouldn’t want to disappoint the group by bailing after 3 months due to too many outside commitments at home.

Thanks Vic

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Hi Vic,

I've been a member of L.A. Live Steamers for over 29 years. When I first joined, I was volunteering for lots of jobs and I was even Publicity chairman for over five years. Then I started building my Allen ten-wheeler and helping a friend run his Allen mogul pulling the public two Sunday's every month. This went on for about fifteen years. Believe me, you can get burned out!

I'm not real familiar with the requirements for your probation, but I think it is like 40 plus hours over a six month period. The requirements are listed there.

I found some info for you on our website. I didn't know it had been revamped.

http://www.lals.org/index.html

The fella that had started the 45mm layout had retired to Reno, Nev. and it has fallen into dis-repair. A few of us live steamers had tried to start an elevated track. But no takers.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
BTW Vic, Your dues are a straight tax write-off. It's a donation to the museum.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gary, my wife was the one who hinted at volunteering for the GR, but the 40 hours work requirement would be contentious, she still has alot of weekend projects for me as it is. I dont like working 2 jobs with both trying to schedule me. We'll see how things are by summertime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts