G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
155 Posts
I remember riding these in the "60s here in R.I. I have recently seen these setup for children at Strasburg in PA. I think they were called "Cranky Cars". I wish I could still ride them but I don't fit anymore! My daughter enjoyed it though.

Steve

· Registered
744 Posts
There is an amusement park near me, Waldemeer Park and Water World that still has them in the kids part of the park. About a 100' feet of track through a little grove and maybe 10 cars. My kids love them.

Terry

· Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Never rode one of those, but one year at the train show in, um, near St. Louis with the Gateway club, there was a set of those. The kids loved them! They were a little noisy indoors.

· Registered
345 Posts
I recall the same type of ride at an amusement park called Nunley's Happyland (AKA Jolly Rodger’s) in Bethpage on Long Island NY. I had many a ride on that thing as a kid. Always felt exhausted afterwards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1u0_38Ljbc has a quick view of the ride starting at about 0:38. The park really saved on electricity. :}
Alas, the site is now a strip mall.

Wayne
Knackered Valley Railroad

· Premium Member
878 Posts
Knott's Berry Farm in California used to have "kid powered" pumper cars that ran around a small track at the part. My kids would sit on them and pumb a T handle forward and back to make it go. They liked this better than any other ride at the park when they were little. No idea if they still have it there.

Best,
TJ

· Registered
2 Posts
I can remember riding one of these at an amusement park around Pittsburg Pa back in the 50s. American Restoration TV show on History channel is on right now and they are restoring two of these for a customer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-193...1e7392bbc2
They were at Kennywood and they were still in use when I worked maintenance there. They constantly had issues but the company wanted to keep as many of the historic rides as possible so they never ditched them. Not sure if they're still there now that a big corporation from outside the US owns the park. They might be in storage on site or maybe at Idlewild Park, where many rides go from Kennywood after they start losing popularity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts