G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Your 20 degree scrapping tells me the motor is most likely bad. The motor should turn freely through 360 degrees.

Do you have part numbers on the replacement motors? The Mogul instructions state that the 62204 motor with the long shaft is the replacement.

Did you check the 'feel' of the new motors for how well the shaft turns?

PS, I did find a motor with a bad winding iin 1 LGB engine I repaired for a friend. The winding was open and i resoldered it on the armature.
Another motor on my Stainz from the 30th birthday set had a defective motor brush. Carbon rod had the copper plate loosen and jam the motor brush making the spring in effective. Solution was to remove thecopper plate and motor works great.

So, motors do go bad and sometimes can be repaired.

· Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Paul, we all know one man's 'JUNK' is another man's treasure. Convincing the wives can be difficult.

I keep spare parts on hand and they have been handy especially when looking at a used engine and knowing I can repair it with parts on hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.