G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I packed up my Ruby and a loop of track and a some Bachman cars and a few other cars. I'm refining my cub scout presentation to be more train hobby specific. To that end I took an Aristocraft heavyweight passenger car, and aristocraft caol hopper, a Bachman QS tank car, a set of three of the green side dump Bachman cars and the Coal Creek lumber caboose as well as a Lehman christmas train starter set. 

I arrived at 6:30 at the Moose Club in Port Allegany and as I started to set up the kids and parents started trickling in. I should mention at this point that I've done a medieval comedy skit for this group with a few friends before so the adults did not recognize me in street clothes! LOL! They took the older kids and I showed the younger kids how I got the Ruby ready and talked about what it takes and what it took in the days of steam to get a steam loco ready to use for the day. Lot's of good questions from teh kids and the parents. Lot's of good input too. I finally got Ruby running on the rollers as the older kids came back. So we quickly re-fueled and re-watered and got her back up to steam as we talked about trains with the whole group now. As she came up to steam I placed her on the 8 foot loop with the 3 green cars the tanker and the caboose behind. i've always been amazed/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif at just how un-level the floors are when I've run like this! Takes some tuning to get Ruby running just right so whe isn't running away but still making laps. this gives me a chance to do the safety talk. Talking about not walking on or near the tracks or placing anything on the tracks. Very important in this town as their are two major industries that are serviced by the railroad merely a block off the main street and right behind the Moose lodge we were meeting in. We could hear the full size trains going by as I was talking:D. Of the 30 some kids at least 10 of them had trains. Either HO scale or some had Lionel. Pretty good percentage I thought/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif?

I did mange to get a few photos and I know there were at least three other parents taking photos too so I'll try to get those posted soon. I'd have to say that I was as impressed with the parental turnout as I was with the kids. Some of the kids were a little poky & grabby but overall pretty good kids. They are scouts so they respond pretty well to direction. It seemed like a long time but was only an hour not including set up and tear down. I had many of the boys coming up to me afterwards with thank yous that were un prompted. A few fathers talking aobut trains as well. I took two copies of GR as well and I know at least one father was browsing that as I talked. 

Overall a good night. Cept fer that darn deer tht jumped out in front of me as I was leaving town. I missed him but it gets the heart racing when that happens. Up the road later, I had a fox run out in front of me too! Damn he was quick!

I'm still working on my presentation but it gives me a chance to set up and run some of my trains so any turnout is fun for me.

Thanks for listening!

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Years ago, while I was an R/C flyer, a teacher asked me to bring an airplane in to show the 4th graders at the end of their "Aviation Unit." I brought in a 4 Channel sport plane. They looked closely at the propeller, wing shape, controls, balance, engine, on and on. Then I flew for them. They really liked getting to actually see and touch the things they'd been studying, then watch them in operation. What a great time. Always be ready to show kids how it works!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
In the public eye, great!  I  have found that demostrating live steam to an audience is better done on rollers.  Able to control possible situations much easier.  Plus when on a raised platform (table, etc) ;much easier than on the floor.
Appreicate the effor t to promote to live steam.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charles,
Yeah, I generally start out on the rollers sitting on the end of the table so that the kids can file by and see the fire and look in the cab. I "assign" a few kids to watch the loco for a few things. One kid id to tell me if the fire goes out. One is to watch the guage to tell me when the needle starts to move and how high it gets. Another watches the safety. I picked the wrong kid to watch the safety this time. LOL! He totally freaked when the water started shooting out. He was one of the younger kids too.

Biggest problem to date is wobbly tables and kids that need to lean. Of course they tell me afterwards that one of the tables they had used previously had the legs fold up. Thankfully it didn't happen Tuesday night! Something else to check for future demos.

Chas

·
Lord of the Steam
620 Posts
Good to see others involved with the Scouts and Railroading. I too have been doing a Boy Scout show, now going on ten years. One of our local troops hosts a weekend train show for the public which also doubles as a way for Scouts to get their model railroading merit badge. I have a small portable track (a la Tom Bowdler style) that I set up and demonstrate live steam. Details of this years show is at this link: http://www.troop964.org/index_files/Train_Show/trainshow.htm

If there are any Virginia live steamers that want to join in - drop me a line. The track is tight radius, so I run small greared locos (BLW Cricket and Regner Konrad) or my Roundhouse Forney which can handle the LGB 1500 radius curves.

Happy Steamin' - Scott

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome Scott! A nice liitle layout you've got there! Good to see they let you stop to eat once in a while! That always seemed to be a problem when I was working for a hobby shop and doing the shows in the Buffalo area.

Looks like I'll need to build a portable now huh?

Thanks for sharing!

Chas

·
Lord of the Steam
620 Posts
Good to see they let you stop to eat once in a while!

Well....... I took the photos so neither of those two gentleman are me! But thanks to these two, I did get a chance to get a lunch break! ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts