G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, Mike, no caboose, sorry didn't even think about that. The weight was changed from the stock B'mann to one from a Dash 9 when we put the DCS system in it. You can barely here the whistle, but yes, it doese have sound. I discovered when I pulled the cars off the layout that the first coal car weighed about 5 or 10 pounds. I was told that Ray had glued pennies in it and uses it for a track cleaning car. ( It has cleaning pads on it )
Thanks for the compliment.

Cliff

·
Registered
518 Posts
WOW! 60 cars. I only usually haul between 5 and 8. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif I do have two grades however.

This does give me some confirmation that maybe I could run a dozen comfortably. Anything more would look out of place on my RR anyway.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posted By flatracker on 06/27/2008 12:18 PM
Still curious, stock "annie" or did it have a BBT drive in it? Thanks.

BOb, yes , it is the stock drive train. The only modification to it was using a Dash 9 motor for the DCS system. ( because we needed to add a flywheel for the tac strip.) The gears on the driver axles and the worm gear are all stock Bachmann componets. It is the 5th edition drive train, the newest drive train from Bachmann, ( this a 2005 Sam's Club Christmas train).

Cliff

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nick, thanks for making the link, I appreciate it. Cliff

·
Registered
938 Posts
They are Bachmann Coal hoppers $25 each and come already with metal wheels and coal loads (add $5 for a pair of kadees) so they really aren't that bad. To do this with any other brand rolling stock would cost twice as much.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Nice video Cliff!! I never would have believed that a Annie could pull 60 hoppers! :D

And it looks like ya can still smoke indoors in Ks.?? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Posted By Mike Reilley on 06/28/2008 7:59 PM
Cliff...tell us more about your Dash9 motor change. I take it this an UP power mod.

Mike, we just removed the stock motor and took the worm gear off and put it on the -9 motor, Ray fabricated a flywheel for it ans installed it then added a rac strip. Then he put it in the Loco. Pretty simple. ( can't divulge to many secrets here ).

Chuck, yes, the TRAINS can smoke inside but us humans had to be relegated to great, hot, outdoors.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Oh, I hate to be a curmudgeon, but there are only 55 coal cars in that train. Counted 'em twice. Still a very impressive run!

Neal

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Posted By neals645 on 07/03/2008 9:19 AM
Oh, I hate to be a curmudgeon, but there are only 55 coal cars in that train. Counted 'em twice. Still a very impressive run!

Neal

That's okay Neal, honestly, we didn't count them either. Never thught about it. But the fact that the FIRST coal car weighed more than ten of them together kinda makes up for it. It was full of pennies and used as a track cleaning car.
Cliff

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yeah, Neal's right. I didn't remember till I got home and counted them that I'm still short 5 cars for the set I used at the show. It was close enough and knew that even if it was 60 instead of 55 it wouldn't have mattered, it still would have pulled it so I didn't bother trying to post a correction on the post here. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

Raymond

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Ray, maybe we should try it with one of my NON DCS Annies, that would prove something, wouldn't it?
Cliff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts