G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Some progress (finally). Been working on the tender. The various fixtures have not been glued down (pending painting) so kindly ignore any that are off kilter!

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Andy, Looking very nice. Good to see you making progress. Sorry to hear the chassis was so bad. It is a real shame the way that all turned out.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi Andy,

Nice work. That's going to be a great looking bogie. Where did yoi get the spoked wheel?? Are you using them in the tender truck.

Chuckger

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's a Sierra Valley Enterprises wheel set 24" diameter in 1:20.3. I haven't checked to see if they work on the tender truck yet. For the pilot I could build my own frame.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I'm always excited when I see a new post in the MasterClass area because the workmanship in here is always spectacular. Andy you haven't disappointed.

Jealously yours,
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Andy,
I'm very curious: how does this one compare with your first? What are you finding easier and are you trying anything different with this one that is surprising you? By the way, it's looking fantastic!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Steve, interesting question! First, because it's been such a long process for me I've often forgotten how I solved a particular problem with the first Bogie so have to re-figure things out on the second one! So no efficiencies of scale. But I get the fun of thinking things through twice

The biggest difference is my desire to build to a higher standard. As is often true, I look at my first Bogie and can see all of the misfittings/mistakes/etc. that I made. None of them are large enough to take away my pleasure at having actually built the locomotive and none are very obvious to the casual viewer. But I would just as soon not have them on them on my second locomotive (I'm sure I'll just have different ones). And my skills at building are certainly much better than when I started the first one. So things are working out.

And for this one I have decided not to paint as I go. When I did that last time, I ended up having to work around the painted parts and that was not pleasant. Plus I am going with acrylic paints - no more toxic fumes as I have no good way to vent them. I'm still trying to decide what to use for "chocolate brown".

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Andy,
Having seen your first beautiful Bogie as it took shape and comparing this effort with it, I can confidently state that your skills have indeed improved even though your first effort was a masterwork! Your new Bogie is even that much better and is a joy to watch unfold!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nice work. That's going to be a great looking bogie. Where did yoi get the spoked wheel?? Are you using them in the tender truck.

Chuckger

Well Sierra Valley Enterprises does not make a 26" spoked wheel set, which is what I need for the tender truck. Anybody have another source?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The record breaking snowfall in my area has been pretty good for Bogie-building. The valve gear is done; bolts will be cut off and soldered when I do the final assembly.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And now we can generate air for the brakes. (Nothing is glued - I'm planning to finish everything before painting anything - I want a photo showing all the bits of unadorned plastic.)

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
Hey chaps,
Andy Bernat has finished his sensational 2nd Masterclass Mason Bogie! I think this one may be the best yet, and has a great paint job too.
Andy and Peter Bunce are the only two members to attempt two Mason models from the class!
This is a really neat model Andy, I love it. Also checkout the carry case!

I'd add these photos to the finishes Bogie show-case, but that showcase is about the last remaining section of the original MLS, and I can no longer add to that site.
Please enjoy Andy's new Bogie loco:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts