G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any updates on when the AMS Drop Bottom Gondolas will be available?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I work at Tammie's Hobbies in Beaverton Oregon and we have 4, one on display and 3 on the shelf. They look good, the doors don't drop but look like they could. All you would have to do is cut the doors free from the floor as the hinges and the chains are all there. They are going for 164.95.

Andre

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
FEAR NOT

The NEW MSRP is $876 per case of four, or $219 each. Still much less than $395 for the 3FSM cars from Bill Davis. But then, those cars had working drop bottoms and were wood cars.

JJS

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Jonathan (EMW) shows a photo of the drop-bottom gons, but no prices yet. He notes he expects them very soon!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The 3 foot cars , actually made by Berlyn, were outstanding models, but in many cases proved to be too fragile for regular outdoor use. Sure, the doors dropped, but this was of little use in the real world as the chains were quite easily broken. If derailed, the brake rigging would often get torn up, and lastly, the Berlyn cars had magic truss rods, they bent in mid air, not at the Queen posts.
Ams/Accucraft made a good choice to make the cars doors not open in search of strength and robust qualities. The DRGW usually did not ever use them with doors open anyway, obviously not when loaded, and not when running empty either.
I have 'em in stock, all numbers and both logos, pricing as shown
Jonathan/EMW

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Oh, good!! Jonathan, when you get dirt cheep some of these inferior 3FCM/Berlyn cars from the customers upgrading to the new nodrop gondolas, please send me a note. I'd be happy to find room for some more of that trash;-)!! Best, Zubi

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By zubi on 15 May 2010 10:29 PM
Oh, good!! Jonathan, when you get dirt cheep some of these inferior 3FCM/Berlyn cars from the customers upgrading to the new nodrop gondolas, please send me a note. I'd be happy to find room for some more of that trash;-)!! Best, Zubi

LOL Zubi. I agree, if someone wants to get rid of all those 'inferior' 3FCM drop bottoms semd me some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts