G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im want to reletter my AMS short caboose. But I need to remove the lettering that is on there now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
145 Posts
On the brassa AMS caboose I was able to use blue panters tape to get the lettering off (by mistake) when I was tapeing of topaint the roof it know I have to reletter.
Hope this helps
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I would first try a Q-tip dipped in alcohol and then carefully apply it to the lettering. This is what I have to do with Bachmann lettering. It's not quick but it does seem to be the safest method for removing stubborn lettering! Solvents are tricky! I have used Acetone for wiping up a smear. It does work but it will almost immediately screw up the paint underneath! I DON'T recommend using it unless you have the technique mastered (and yes, I screwed up plenty before I figured it out. You get ONE swipe with a semi-damp paper towel - NEVER pour on the plastic!! If it didn't come off in one second then let it dry completely and you can try again but be warned!! Acetone EATS plastic!!) Better to try and remove the lettering with tape first and then work with alcohol second and start to work up the line with paint thinners etc... (Acetone is a LAST resort!)if those don't completely do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do have one more though. How well do dry transfers hold up under a clear coat?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I put some dry transfers on an LGB Mikado about 2 years ago. Covered it with Testors Dullcoat. It did not wrinkle the transfers at all. I don't leave the loco out in the sun that much other than when running, but it still looks great. If you leave your locos out, the Krylon UV matte would probably work better, but I have not used it with dry transfers and I don't know if it will wrinkle them? But worst case is cover them with Dullcoat and then Krylon UV matte.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
My personal feelings are that dry-transfers are much easier to work with than decals! Almost all of my equipment has been re-lettered with dry-transfers. The "dull-coat" seals the lettering and it works great! One caveat: I have been reliably informed that the "dull coat" will weather badly in the sun if you are planning on leaving your rolling stock out in the elements. I don't so I have never had any problems! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I've been out of the hobby for a number of years, what company do most of you guys use for decals? I used CDS dry transfer in the past...but what is out there now. Thanks

Jer

·
Registered
688 Posts
Denatured alcohol on a Q-tip will remove the lettering from an AMS car. I redid 2 Rio Grande boxcars this way and it worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts