G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired an AML 0-6-0, which according to the website, is 1:29 scale. Since I own quite a few pieces of USAT, this isn't really an issue. I'm wondering if the difference in scale matters when considering any Accucraft accessories, or if it's mostly just the size of the doors & windows.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
rexcadral, I have mostly 1:29 also, Bob Weltyk posted pics of his 1:29 Aristo Heavyweights behind the Wuhu G5 which is 1:32, looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
With regard to Accucraft accessories and others I'd suggest it depends on what your comparing same too. A 1:29 scale person adjacent to a 1:32 scale door might look odd.

IMO, there is an very obvious difference in these two scales when compared side by side.... Perception dictates realism, that said a Gauge 1 or 1/32 engine is notably smaller than a 1/29 engine.

Many modelers combine these scales, the eye is of the beholder! And yes doors, windows, drivers, length, width, height all play a visual factor. A typical 84" door of 1:29 will be about 5/16" taller than a 1:32, 84" door. Engine height; a 1:29 engine will be about 1/2-5/8" taller than a 1:32 iteration.

Michael

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Accucraft makes a 1/29th coupler which is more 'toy like' and as big as their 1:20 coupler, and similar in size to the Aristo or USAT couplers. Not sure what your engine has on it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
In terms of plumbing and mechanical parts, there's a lot of common pieces that Accucraft uses on all of their live steam models, regardless of scale (from 1:13.7 to 1:32). There's about a 9% difference in size between a 1:29 figure (say, a man 5'10" in height) versus a 1:32 figure, not insignificant.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Found this thread "on accident" as my kids were likely to say in the all good way-back times.
When I still was in the model airplane hobby I had gravitated to a field called Stand Off Scale. Stand Off Scale invoked the Ten Foot Rule in Judging model competition. Simply put, if it looked good from ten, or more, feet away, then it was OK. In my live steam hobby world every consist that I assemble follows this guide. I've never gotten points-off on anything that I ever trundled around anyone's pike.
Scaling fittings is another matter. As long as one stays below 1/8" plumbing sizes everything is copacetic. A little cheating, here and there, in the seven-eights scale might handle the 1/8" stuff, but I wouldn't overdo it.
The reality is that no-one is gonna slip a scale [ruler] into your cab and do a DOT inspection, so don't worry 'bout it.

Pax Americana et Semper Paratus

1 - 6 of 6 Posts