G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of us fortunate enough to have gotten one know what a great running locomotive it is. Very heavy and very strong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A great locomotive Nick and one that didn't seem to sell well initially but harder to find now on the secondhand market as every lucky person like yourself that has one has discovered what an easy to operate and powerful loco they are. My friend Graham has one with a green boiler and runs extremely well that pulls big loads.
Thanks for the video's and nice track too.
Russell

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Russell, thank you, and it is one great loco. The track is nothing like where you run, this is just simple, straight and level. I don't have the talent or eye for scenery. A friend reminded me of this video taken 2012, 34 cars & caboose.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I love mine, its one live steamer I will not give up. Its a shame that Accucraft/AML let the line languish in the live steam area to push 1:32nd. Much more rolling stock out there on the market for 1:29, even if it is not a "correct" scale. In the garden world, it works just fine.

·
Premium Member
6,210 Posts
I love mine, its one live steamer I will not give up.
They are nice. Jerry has 2 of them and a Docksider tank. I keep looking for the 0-4-0 tender loco which is apparently just as good but very rare.
ACCUCRAFT 1/29 TRAINS
Its a shame that Accucraft/AML let the line languish in the live steam area to push 1:32nd. Much more rolling stock out there on the market for 1:29, even if it is not a "correct" scale. In the garden world, it works just fine.
Even more interesting that Accucraft never offered the identical engines in 1/32nd scale. No 0-6-0, nor the B&O Dockside, or the PRR K4 (although there are plenty of Aster K4s around.) And don't get me started about the NYC Streamlined Hudson. I still don't believe no-one ever produced a 1/32nd version. Accucraft even have coaches to match.

·
Super Modulator
21,124 Posts
The push for 1:29 pretty much went away with the death of Fred Devine, who was the champion of 1:29 from Accucraft, called AML.... luckily we are still getting the 1:29 GP60

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I am glad to see them complete the GP60 project. Maybe if it sells well enough, it will encourage them to pay more attention to that scale ratio in the future. It was a sad day when we lost Fred, he was the force behind AML while he was with us.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I thought Accucraft had a live steam prototype of a NYC Dreyfus Hudson they were shopping around for orders at one time?

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A true classic loco for sure, shame they didn't go into production. I know of several guys stocked up on the NYC passenger cars in anticipation of the run.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That project probably got shelved when Fred passed away. Shame, classic loco that would have had the "WOW" factor in 1:29th scale. Which from interviews with Charles Ro and Nat Polk, was one of the main reasons they stated for going with that scale over 1:32nd scale. That the "WOW" factor in the garden world was a big selling factor for them.

·
Super Modulator
21,124 Posts
Unfortunately, family does not always know all the accounts people had, and their passwords... if you lose your facebook password it can be a hassle. I just had a friend get hacked, and his password and confirming email was changed by the hacker, it was really hard to get the account back, and he is the head of my IT department.

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts