G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea to put some roofers on one of my buildings. Anybody know of commercial figures that would work? A plus if they're Amish or could be modified to look Amish. 1:22.5 or 1:24 scale. No I can't do Sculpy, I don't have the patience, or the time. Eli and the grands are coming on the 22nd.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I just picked up a roofer set made by Just Plain Folk that may work-can't remember the exact scale-I will check when I get back to the house. The set retails around $18.00 but I know you can find them for as low as $13.00 at some locations. Hoping they can finish roofing my engine shed.

Vernon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Living in Amish country I know air powered tools are ok. I have even watched a Amish woman sew a quilt on an air powered Singer. Beautiful work. Go into an Amish wood working shop and everyting is air powered. Table Saws, lathes, planers etc. Compressors must be gas powered not electric.
Noel

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Wow, I thought only Mininites (?) could use gas powered equipment? There is an Amish Community near where my cousin lives in Tenn and an Minenite community, the Amish won't touch anything more mechanical than a pump. They use horse drawn carriages and plows. The Mininites look similar, but they use cars and allow some forms of electricity to be used, but they take all the chrome off the cars and use the electricity only for refrigerators and some of their tools and stuff. If they have a phone, it is for the whole community. The Minenites around Henderson county have good dairies, and the best chocolate milk made anywhere in the U.S. IMHO. The shun contact with the outsiders, but they enjoy the cash they can make off selling eggs, milk and ice cream. So they compromise and they open up there store with no cash register and no one tending it except to stock the supplies. Shoppers get their products and tally the prices up and put the money in a jar. I don't know about anyone else, but being treated that way made me hyper honest. I added up my totals 3 or 4 times to make sure I didn't stiff them accidentally.
I wonder if the Amish are experience regional changes in their believes? I was out in that area only a year ago and the Amish weren't using any air tools or gas engines.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Depends on the Sect, Congrigation, Elders, etc. Some Amish can use tractors in our area, but only if one tire is rubber and the other iron like they were back in the 20 and 30's. They drive with the rubber on the black top and the iron one on the shoulder. I knew an Amish lumberman who could haul his logs to the saw mill from the log yard with a propane powered fork lift. He could only use it in the log yard and no where else. Special rule by the elders. His wife made the best apple and cherry pies for several miles around.
N

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Some Mennonite farms near where I grew up. They took very good care of their equipment. The tractor would be 50 years old, but looked brand new. When all the other farmers were getting crushed by debt, the Mennonites were still prosperous. I wondered if they knew something the others didn't ;) Liked a Mennonite girl, but her heart was set on Jerry Ludwig.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Noel,
Sounds like the Amish in Tenn are Zionist in their believes.
Torby,
You are dead on about that, the dairy I got ice cream from used this old mixer. You could see it through the door of their shop. The thing was identical to the one my father used to have in his bakery when I was a kid 45 years ago. It was old then, but theirs looked like it was new. Same goes for their cars,,, no chrome but well cared for and clean.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I bought some of those figures. Said they were 1:24. Must be a chinese ruler because they were about five feet tall (2 1/2"). I don't know what I'll do with them???

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Bill, that sounds more like 1:29 scale.
Scott, not all Chinese are 5 foot tall, in fact very few are that short, especially here in the U.S. If you are trying to be funny then please put a smiley face after statements that could be misinterpreted as racist. Some of us members (like me) have Chinese relatives and friends, and some of us are Asian or Polynesians with mixed blood.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I opened this thread to find out about Amish Roofers. I then found out that Amish use Air Powered tools and Gasoline driven Air compressors.

I did not know this. How interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I think it varies from one population to another exactly what modern conveniences are allowable.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Scott
I find that any comment, no matter how rude, blunt, obscene, or political incorrect can be forgive by all if you just put a smiley face at the end ;)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
And generate their own electricity with propane driven generators. By law, they have to refrigerate milk in order to sell it to the processing plants.

That small building on the left is a phone booth. They build the booth near the road, phone company installs one of those credit card phones.
Anyone can stop and use the phone, so it is considered a 'public' phone....... My question is...who do they call?

They get the phone cards at wallyworld.. This is a picture of their parking garage at my home town's super Wallmart.

We use an Amish canvas shop and he has all electric, heavy duty sewing machines powered from a generator.

I get my cider from a Amish roadside stand. Sold anywhere else and it has to be processed.
The owners are allowed to use a tractor, rubber tires and all to farm. Still have to use the buggy for personal transportation.

Storage place near my home town will rent them a heated inside room with washer, dryer, freezer, fridge, etc....
As long as they do not 'own' them they can use them.

I'm guessing someone is renting the Amish cell phones.

Craig

1 - 20 of 23 Posts