G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if any large scale enthusiasts were going to trek to this weekend's multi-scale event in Springfield, MA. Although there doesn't appear to be much in the way of large scale or live steam represented (notwithstanding Charles Ro), the sheer size and scope of the show is appealing. Lots of vendors . . .

I've been told it gets very very crowded, so I'm leaving early in the morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There will be many large-scale dealers and many large-scalers there. Even a couple of large-scale layouts: both electric and steam. IMO this is better for large-scalers than York's large scale show - although there isn't as much "used" equipment there as in York. And, YES, it gets very crowded. (I'm going there Saturday on a chartered bus full of "train-folks" from the Cape Cod area. An our bus won't be the only one there either.)
Enjoy the show, but plan plenty of time to see it all. Wear comfortable shoes.
You can great ideas from the operating layouts in the smaller sizes too!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I'll be there
- we're leaving for our hotel in Springfield tonight as soon as we both get out of work.
Bringing along a shortened (4 cars, 1 Alco PA) version of my USA Trains New Haven "Merchant's Limited" to run at the Mohegan & Pequot large-scale layout.
(Unfortunately, the other PA is down with stripped gears
). I made up a name tag with the MLS logo & my "SteamAholics" number (7002) on it for myself, should make me a bit easier to spot.
-Or just keep an eye out for probably the only guy wearing shorts
there! - (My bad knee is a lot more comfortable in them! - I put sweatpants on over them for the cold, but take 'em off if I'm in a warm hall for a while).
Tom

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, gentlemen - sounds more promising than I expected. Unfortunately, my wife is under the weather today, so I'm going to attend the show tomorrow. Hope it's worth the effort!

·
Registered
6 Posts
After having written an enthusiastic recommendation about the West Springfield show, I think it is probably appropriate to follow that up with this report after returning from the show Saturday. Please understand that this is only one person's opinion based on my perception of the show and what is of interest to me.

ONE PERSON'S THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS

1) Large-Scale Layouts: The ones at the show this year were as impressive as in the past years. These folks due a great job. THANK YOU!! However I noticed at least two layouts that were present the last couple of years at West Springfield weren't present this year. Nor was there a "live-steam" layout.

2) Large-Scale Manufacturers' Exhibits: Present were (in no particular order):

A) USA Trains: Charlie Ro had his usual large display and items for sale. (Were there fewer different items displayed though? Not sure.) Beautiful stuff!
B) AristoCraft: (although this year an even smaller exhibit than the past).
C) MTH: only a few locomotives (4?) But WOW, was that Erie Triplex impressive! (All I need now is a couple more acres of room in my yard and a lot of spare cash.) They also displayed what appeared to be a test shot of a VO1000 (?) diesel. Looks good.
D) Bachmann: only a couple of locos, but also had a couple of their new tank cars and some of their new "RGS Long Caboose" bodies and paint jobs. Love that articulated tank loco. Asked when they will get around to building a 1:20.3 scale Forney. the folks there said they all thought it would be a good idea , but . . .

I may well have missed a manufacturer (or 2?), but I did look for them.

3) "LGB": Both Marklin and Walthers had exhibits at the show, but there was no evidence of any "LGB" at either place that I saw.
Although I did not personally speak with any reps from either place, I talked with another "large-scaler" after leaving the show. He told me that he had asked one of the Marklin reps about when we might expect to see some LGB US-style items coming into the US. He told me he was told to talk to someone from Wathers. He said he then went to the Walthers place and asked one of their reps the same question (when might we expect to see some US-stuff coming into the US). He claims he was given the answer "I hope never". If so, that's a scary answer isn't it? Lets hope that there might have been a misunderstanding about that.

4) Large-Scale Dealers and "Large-Scale Deals": I'm not an expert on all the different large-scale items currently available and the "lowest prices" for each item. But ALL of the items I saw and priced - from ALL of the dealers I visited at the show - seemed to be consistently more expensive than I've found (widely) advertised today on the internet.
Other large-scalers seemed confirmed the same impression to me after having visited the show on Saturday.

BTW: Interestingly, at one of the larger dealers at the show, at least some of his "sale prices" that he was advertising, in BIG signs on his tables, were higher priced than the prices shown on his "regular price" lists he had laying around on his tables. Ooops ???

THOUGHTS AND POSSIBLE CONCLUSIONS:

I) Perhaps the economy is keeping a number of folks and some dealers from attending shows such as this? If this IS due to the current economy, it would certainly be understandable.

II) Perhaps the absence of a dealer like St. Aubins was why other dealers that were at the show felt no need to discount what they brought as much as they had in past shows? St. Aubins' always seemed to me to have very competitive prices and a good selection of "Fn3", Accucraft, Bachmann, and all the major lines except LGB (at least in the last couple of years that I went to West Springfield anyway). ("St. Aubins" is now "another story", of course.)

III) Personally I would have thought that based on observations of the economy one should have expected to see large(r) discounts from dealers: if on no other merchandise, at least on "excess stock" or "old stock" if nothing more. But I saw nothing of the sort. Nor did anyone that I've spoken with.

At least one "large-scaler" has said that he doesn't plan on going to West Springfield next year because of what he [didn't] see this year. And at least one or two others have said they will have to "think about it" before they decide to go again.

Anyone care to comment about the show??

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I was there today and would agree that large scale was lacking. I thought that with the exception of Charles Ro the pricing on what little G scale I saw was ridiculous. Charles Ro had some good deals with modern tank cars at 4 for 300. And, pa 1’s at 175. It was a good opportunity to talk with the various DCC manufacturers with NCE, Diggitrax, MRC, lenz in attendance.
I doubt I will attend again

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear that it was somewhat of an anticlimax. As it was, my 6 year old followed my wife's example today and got sick. The result was that I was unable to attend. Still planning on heading down to york, though!

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I was at the show both days at the G scale layout. There were a few LGB deals on SMALL product from one dealer. Acouple of odds and ends deals from on LGB from a couple of others. I feel Charles Ro had some excellent pricing. Aristo brought a truck of product up to sell through Pioneer Valley Hobbies. They also brought the RDC3. the Consolidation, and their new controller. I did have someone come by with questions on the American Mainline K4 as he purchased one there,
LAO.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I'll agree - deals on G gauge in general were disappointing
this time around. One dealer I've previously purchased some Bachmann "Spectrum" 1:20.3 freight cars from had NOTHING but their On30 line this time.
This was the first time in the 7 years I've been going to this show (since I got back active in the hobby after a previous 10 year abscence
) that I didn't come home with ANY
new rolling stock! (And it was the purchase of a Bachmann Climax here 7 years ago that got me "rolling"
again!).

On the positive side of things - got to see the new Bachmann 2-6-6-2T 1:20.3 "Malley"
"in the flesh", it's on the shopping list for sure!
At the opposite end of the "Spectrum"
their little side-rod gas-mechanical looks like it'd be a perfect "tramway" loco for the mine I installed last year.

Also had a blast
meeting Larry & some of the other guys at the HUGE
G-gauge layout there (brought my USA Trains NH streamliner set along, ran the pants off it with either 1 of my PA's of Larry's NH-painted "Genesis"
on the head-end); I'll have video up in a few days as soon as I have the chance to edit what I shot & upload it to YouTube.
Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
No deals, no bargains this year. But I did get out of the house for a day and I always look upon this show as the new years kickoff to another great year of large scale railroading.

Pat McCarty, CEO
Roisin & Owen Railways

and faithful member of

The Hudson Valley Large Scale Railroad Club

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Though I'd add some pictures:

little trains how cute:

ARISTO booth

new rdc3 and steam

Large scale

Bachmann

Some ho

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like looking at the other scales that have layouts at the show. Get some great ideas and was very impressed with the detail put into them. Funny thing is one of the HO scalers, upon learning I was a large scaler, made what I felt was a disparaging remark about us big train people. After his inane comment , I respnded:

"My cat craps bigger than your trains. We put HO trains on our track and run them over !!!"

Of course we don't, but maybe would like to. Lol.

Pat McCarty, CEO
Roisin & Owen Railways

and proud member of

The Hudson Valley Large Scale Railroad Club

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
It was a good show for me with the Conrail Historical Society group. Only really saw Larry up there and didnt see anyone else I knew.

As usual I spent my money at Charlie Ro as his prices were the only ones in line with what is "normal" as far as im concerned. GP-40's for 300+ dollars is insane...

I picked up some N scale at a good price too so overall I was happy and had lots of fun. See you guys up there next year!!!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic of Larry WITH clothes and no SPEEDO!!!
Some of use came and went before 12:30 sat!!
Charlie did have some good deals.
It was nice of Stanley Ames to keep the Bachman company Sat.
Sean

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pat McCarty,

Most non G-scale guys, talk bad about us Large Scale guys, all the time.

The word is called " jealousy"

At train shows, the smaller scale guys always say "sarcastically" :

1) your layout is too big
2) I can't hear over your sound system
3) why are the people always over at the "G" scale layout, and NOT here at our "N" scale
4) what's so special about "G" scale anyway (the TRUE jealous small scale modeler says this all the time)

Did you ever see a celebrity or lottery winner, and wish you had "ALL THAT" ?

Everyone would LOVE to have "game room" like a celebrity (rich person), with a pinball, jukebox, pool table, slot machine etc.

Wouldn't you like to have the Biggest Fastest Best car on the block, instead of your rusted out 1984 Buick?

Have you ever envied the guy driving the Rolls Royce or Ferrari? (yeah me too)

Most small scale guys would love to play with "big toys for big boys" (G-scale)

Know you know why they say, the things they say, it's called "jealousy.

P.S. What did this guy say?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
"
Funny thing is one of the HO scalers, upon learning I was a large scaler, made what I felt was a disparaging remark about us big train people. After his inane comment , I respnded:

"My cat craps bigger than your trains. We put HO trains on our track and run them over !!!"

Of course we don't, but maybe would like to. Lol."

- Pat, someone DID!

(OK, it was Z instead of HO
, but it's the thought that counts!).
Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good morning Tom,
It was a pleasure to meet you and Larry at the Amherst Show.
That is a GREAT video, keep up the GOOD work, I would say that you are doing your part of saving our environment.
Ron
Chatham, MA

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Nice meeting you in person also, Ron.
Hopefully I might be able to drop by sometime this summer when I start biking the Cape Rail Trail again.

I can't take credit for that "Jaws Train Wreck"
video (although I loved the guy's choice of music!
) - just happened to be something I stumbled across by chance on YouTube, & in light of the "Large-vs-Small-scale" discussion, though it was appropriate to embed the video here!
(Don't think I'd try that myself - although the wreck survivability of Bachmann "Big Hauler" 4-6-0's is well known
, that Marklin Z-gauge stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!
- That Z-gauge train probably cost considerably more than a Bachmann "Annie"!
).

I just downloaded the video I shot at the show from the camcorder to my PC last night, hopefully will get it edited & uploaded to YouTube sometime later tonight. I'll post an embed of it here once that's done.

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts