G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in awe at the quality and content of the newly posted Life Photo Archive photos that deal with the D&RGW narrow gauge passenger train San Juan.

I've seen a lot of San Juan photos over the years, but this set (comprising 10 pages) is absolutely amazing. The interior shots are exquisite. These are very rare indeed.

The ones that especially caught my eye are of the Native Americans boarding and riding the train. On our outdoor layout we have a sheep ranching area loosely modeled after Dulce New Mexico, home to the Jicarilla Apaches. The San Juan stopped at Dulce. What I've always wanted in the way of figures is non Cowboys and Indians, but more modern era Native Americans in period clothing just like in these photos.

The photos in this set show a simpler way of time. When the train was the only way to travel, and get your mail. For those who model the D&RGW San Juan...and I know there are several out there...these photos are a treasure trove of information, especially the interior shots.

Enough talk, here's a link to the San Juan photos:

San Juan Photos

And these San Juan photos are just a minuscule sample of the immense collection being posted to the web. Here's a link to the main page of these Life photos:

Life Photo Archive

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
RE: Amazing collection of photos for you D&RGW San Juan Fans

Thank you , much appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts

Wow, those are good quality, thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

Thanks(I think-DSL is not fast enough for all these!)!

I'm poking around the San Juan link, and look forward to the others(phew!).

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is a great link!! Thanks so much! Guess you know what I'll be doing for a greater part of today. It's too cold out, so some nice hot coffee, a comfortable chair, and great pictures. You made my day!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I realized there a a few more photos in the set, but the only way I can find them thus far is clicking on "More" under "Related Images" after choosing one of the photos. I don't know how to display more then 10 pages of photos yet.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts

Yeah, I'd like a way to see the rest of the 3 million photos too. The best one can do, that I know of, is to keep adding and changing terms to the search criteria and hope there is not too much overlap in the result. Try other synonyms for railroad, like: Railway, RR, RY, Track, Train, Locomotive, "Grade crossing", Boxcar, Caboose, Reefer, "Cattle car", Roundhouse, (and "Round house"), etc. (including the quotes around multiple words helps narrow down the search to exclude things that have nothing to do with what is sought.... it still can get some really dumb matches... I used "Grade Crossing" and got photos of kids in the 1st grade crossing the street.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts