G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
specifically, EBT 12 was still uncertain, I gave it a cautious 40% but fortunately, I underestimated chances. It is a nice read from the past when we were all dreaming bolder dreams:

I am a happy owner of the EBT12 but I miss a couple of EBT cabooses, brass preferred, by Accucraft.

And I hope they will come up with a 'statement' announcement worth waiting for!!
Best wishes from Indoors (quarantine...)
Zubi

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete, I know of these, Geoff's cabooses were nice but in a different league, each $2000+ Kits are great, but then there were Hartford kits of D&RGW and WSL cabooses and this did not prevent Accucraft from releasing theirs. Brass is extremely durable and has better collectors value. Plus it runs better behind live steamers... As for #17/18, I do not know. I think we are extremely fortunate to have the #12 done. How many large steam locomotives is Accucraft likely to release in the coming 12 years? One or two, if we are lucky. So we have to be very careful what to ask for I think. Best wishes from Indoors, Zubi

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think I hear what you say Zubi... that Accucraft in your opinion will only only do one or two large American narrow gauge steam engines over the next 10-12 years. Well maybe, but they are going 'gangbusters' right now making many English engines in both narrow gauge and standard gauge 'scales' (with Aster) so I think the real problem is that there is no "champion" to advise and drive builds for American loco's like there is in the UK where they gauge demand and put a business plan (loco quantities over a sales period) to Bing. It seems to me on various forums there are a lot of people who all can't agree on what engine to make for the USA at the moment and this survey is probably the only way Accucraft get a handle on what they can build in profitable numbers for the USA. What do you think ?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Russell, yes, that is what I think regarding US narrow gauge motive power. I am not checking other forums, but there has always been a lot of disagreement concerning engine priorities. That said, I think that Accucraft achieved a lot in the past exactly in this context - of large US narrow gauge prototypes. Of course, the UK is a separate and strong market, so they keep Accucraft producing. But note that these are mainly smaller engines, the only 'larger' prototype is the Lawley, and I am shocked at what price it has been announced! Without Cliff, it may really be difficult for Bing to decide on the next steps, so hopefully, the questionnaire will help. I just hope that we will still see a couple of larger engines produced - for me the choice would be the WSL Shay and the Uintah Mallet, as I said before. But such engines would require a decision at this tricky and difficult time, not at all an easy task for Accucraft management... Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts