G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I have LEDs everywhere. Cab lights, firebox lights, classification lights, headlight. The run cooler, they draw far far less current, and theoretically they should last longer. The hard part is getting the color right and in some cases avoiding flicker. We pain them sometimes to get a more convincing yellow

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I run regular bulbs in most cases, light bulbs are also the best to use for Mars/Gyralights unless your using the Richmond Controls brand circuits, Jim has really gotten LED's to work in those applications where others, atleast in HO scale DCC tend to flicker as the intensity ramps up and down to create the effect. As most of my engines are LGB with built in 5 volt lighting circuits, I normaly leave well enough alone. I just upgrade to proper reflectors, from Mag light brand flash lights, in my F units and steam. Once the LGB 5 volt bulb is properly positioned, you get a real nice beam down the track at night. Its a bit harder to do that with an LED when using a proper reflector in the case of older "golden glow" style headlights. Now for modern dual sealed beam style lights, LED's are the way to go. A good driver circuit with stablizer to prevent flicker when running on track power is needed with LED's. Cheers Mike

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
After Christmas go to Walgreens, CVS, and other places that are getting rid of their decorations cheap. I bought a bunch of 50 LED strings for $2.50 each last year and have an indefinite supply of white LEDs now. That is what is in nearly all my locos (some yellowish LEDs in older locos). They are very bright, fit the existing USA and Aristo bulb openings perfectly (even inside cab lights) and draw almost no current which is important for battery power. I've been able to ramp them up and down for Mars and ditch lights. Most blinking ditch lights I've seen are just on/off, I kind of like the ramp up/down look and it better matches the prototypes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGSxBtuw6xk

Here's a write up Dave Bodnar did on flashing ditch lights which work like the prototype: http://www.trainelectronics.com/DitchLights/index.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts