G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Posted By DKRickman on 04/07/2008 6:52 AM
SNIP If not, is there a system out there that can handle both live steam and battery powered locos? Long range isn't much of an issue, since I plan on building so that I can get to the tracks easily for switching, though it would be nice to set it and let it run.
Yes.
My RCS can do both from the one TX-24 handpiece.
Even at the same time if necessary.
At the RCS website hover your cursor over "Large Scale" and then click the relevant subject.
There are downloadable pdf price lists and sample instructions for both Live Steam and battery R/C.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Ooooops.

I almost forgot and thanks to Mike for reminding me.

I also make an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) that will work with low cost 2 channel 75 Mhz R/C.
Under Large Scale open "On Board Bat" then EVO.

This will enable operators to take full advantage of the excellent range available with the 2 stick R/C and control both a live steam loco with servos and a battery powered loco using an EVO ESC.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Hello Pete.
Thanks for the glowing testimonial but I should like to correct a couple of errors please.
I can recommend the RCS approach; I have two systems in my battery+r/c locos and I have friends that run the live steam version and it works as advertised with no glitching. However, it is designed for one-tx-per-loco, so it doesn't quite meet your specs.

Not so.
That is a long held myth.
The RCS TX-24 can control as many locos, both live steam and battery R/C as you want from one TX-24.
You can run them one at a time or ganged together in multiple units.
The TX-24 can also independently control any three locos simultaneously on the same track.
To control a battery-powered loco with a conventional (aircraft-type) r/c rig like the Spektrum DX6i, you have to go to the r/c car section of the showroom. They have high-power motor controllers that will plug in to a conventional rcvr. The problem I found (a few years ago) was that they are mono-directional: like planes, race cars only go forward!

Again not so.
I also make the EVO series of battery R/C ESC's that are designed especially for Large Scale locos.
The EVO series are also designed to eliminate glitching.
The RCS TX-24 cannot operate DCC equipment.
About the only drawback using the Spektrum R/C is operating multiple locos at the same time independently on the same track. I am not quite sure how you would do it.
That ability is something you can do with both AirWire and RCS.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Peter,
Consider yourself forgiven.:)
I'm not sure why you would want to do it. Gang them up as a multiple unit - sure. But running "three locos simultaneously on the same track" sounds like a nightmare. Maybe, if you had a huge loop of track and wanted to run 3 trains you could sit with your favorite beverage and occasionally adjust a train so it didn't catch up with the one in front? [Personally, I'd be sitting with my beverage dreaming up a complete control system to keep the trains separated automatically.]

I agree absolutely. I know of a very few people who have the manual dexterity to run two trains independently at the same time on the same track, without crashing them.
I know of no one who can run three at a time without crashing.

Running 3 trains on different loops is probably a little less difficult.

But, that is what all the manufacturers claim their R/C equipment can do.
So I made mine do three because it could.
I do not recommend such a practice. Mainly because when the inevitable crashes occur, I'll give you one guess who gets the blame./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.