G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I use small 12 V. air compressor (with it's own self-contained gel-cell battery/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif ) I picked up at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago for $40. I use it primarily for inflating car & bike tires (& my bike requires 85 PSI in it's tires!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif ). It came with a couple of adapters for filling beach toys & such; they were made of a relatively soft, rubbery plastic:) which I was able to "thread" (with a little muscle;) ) into the threaded steam dome. The blue piece in this picture is the adapter (note the conventional tire fill valve above it)....

Here's the compressor in use for "air-tuning" /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif the Shay...

I did NOT use a regulator; there was a bit of air leakage around the adapter, & the pressure never went above the blowoff pressure of 40 PSI.
One caution in doing this; while tuning each cylinder individually, I had the cylinder heads removed from the other 2, & the wrist-pin screws removed. Moving on the the next cylinder, I forgot /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif to temporarily remove the #2 piston. When I fired up the compressor, the #2 piston did a beautiful imitation of a Polaris missile launch out the top of the cylinder!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif - Luckily for me, with the loco lying on it's side, it just struck the compressor & landed on the bench, rather than going into "orbit"!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif Tom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.