G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to test locomotives on air pressure. Where can I obtain an adapter to secure the air hose into the hole from which I have removed the safety valve? Also, I have seen others using an integrated hand pump/air tank. This might be preferable to buying an air tank for the bicycle pump or the electric pump which I now have. Who sells such integrated units?

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I use an air hose that is a tight fit on the Accucraft water fill pipe over where the fill cap fits and use a very small hose clamp to seal it off. My compressor has a regulator and was advised (by Dave the Accucraft Guru) to set it just under what ever the pop off valve is set for. Makes trouble shooting and valve setting relatively easy. (just scratching the surface of live steam learning) Nick Jr.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Dave Hottmann has a trigger type Blow Gun attached to the hose of his tank sprayer. This example is the only picture I could find with the rubber tip attached. They all seem to come with rubber tip(s) in the package but are pictured without them. (cut and past links) http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-ap1718.html Harbor Freight sells them for

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I use small 12 V. air compressor (with it's own self-contained gel-cell battery/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif ) I picked up at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago for $40. I use it primarily for inflating car & bike tires (& my bike requires 85 PSI in it's tires!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif ). It came with a couple of adapters for filling beach toys & such; they were made of a relatively soft, rubbery plastic:) which I was able to "thread" (with a little muscle;) ) into the threaded steam dome. The blue piece in this picture is the adapter (note the conventional tire fill valve above it)....

Here's the compressor in use for "air-tuning" /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif the Shay...

I did NOT use a regulator; there was a bit of air leakage around the adapter, & the pressure never went above the blowoff pressure of 40 PSI.
One caution in doing this; while tuning each cylinder individually, I had the cylinder heads removed from the other 2, & the wrist-pin screws removed. Moving on the the next cylinder, I forgot /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif to temporarily remove the #2 piston. When I fired up the compressor, the #2 piston did a beautiful imitation of a Polaris missile launch out the top of the cylinder!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif - Luckily for me, with the loco lying on it's side, it just struck the compressor & landed on the bench, rather than going into "orbit"!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts